MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Default Judge my boxes please

We did our 2nd KCBS competition this weekend. We got 2 calls but are looking to improve. I would appreciate any feedback. Please be honest.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
fweck
is one Smokin' Farker

We get to stare at them here, but here goes
Chicken 8, but only because of the bigger one, bottom row right. But I would pick it first to taste.
Ribs 9
Pork 9
Brisket 7-8, looks pale (lighting?) and I think trimmed to fit the box looks better if it's done before cooking.
Two calls, nothing to be ashamed about!!
Stovetop, Camerons Gourmet Mini Smoker.
Future UDS Owner (slow build mod)
Smokin' Fast, Splashproof, Blue Thermapen

Airborne! God Bless our Troops! :amen:
KCBS CBJ
Member of the Zero's Club
CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
fweck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

chicken-your cook looks great! trimming is lacking and boxing could be tighter.
ribs-look great, please don't cover the meat with garnish after putting in the box.
pork-MM looks nice, but slice a bit thinner, and maybe leave out that last squiggly end part. a bit of sauce on the pulled for me, but no score down appearance from this judge either way. looks good.
brisket-looks very moist and tender.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Chicken 8 or 9 to me - only bad I see to it is you need uniformity in shape/size
Ribs 8-9 - just a little to saucy to me
Butt - 9 maybe just a little uniformity in the MM slices
Brisket 8-9 - looks like a couple of injection spots (bottom right corner) plus not a big fan of trimming to fit box like fweck says

Nothing major bad there & you'd probably get multiple calls if you turned the same in every contest, just nit picky stuff
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the feedback. Some of the issues I kind of knew already and some I didn't. It always helps to use other eyes. I look forward to the next competition so I can try some new things. Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Can you tell us the appearance scores you got from the judges?
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

looking on a better monitor today, i'd amend the chicken comment about trimming. they look pretty well trimmed. possibly cook a few more to insure a bit more consistency in size for the box.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I have no problem trimming the brisket but fit it to the box. No need to show parsley on the sides. That allows judges to be critical on trimming.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Actual Appearance Scores:
Chicken 8 8 8 8 9 9
Ribs 8 7 9 9 8 8
Pork 8 9 9 8 7 9
Brisket 7 7 8 9 8 8

We probably cooked 20 chicken thighs. That just happened to be the best looking 6 even though we knew they were not uniform. I have never trimmed brisket prior to cooking but I may give it a shot. I agree that it would look better.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Pig Pimp 21
Found some matches.

Chicken 8 - bottom right piece looks like it got stepped on. Otherwise a beautiful box.

Ribs 8 - the sauce is a little heavy, but just a little

Pork 8 - The two end pieces of MM look like they won't have good texture.

Brisket 8 - The uneven color and specks of stuff take away slightly from what otherwise looks like a delicious brisket

ETA- I posted these comments before reading the others and it appears there are some consistent themes. Thanks for sharing, and thanks to those above me for honest comments. It helps all of us. The scores you got seem mostly fair based on the assessment of this bunch.
Pig Pimp 21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

I've never commented on a "Judge my box" thread, mainly because I can't stand the inevitable posts about "hey, turn that piece this-a-way, clean that booger-looking spec off of that piece of brisket, turn your ribs where the bones are this way"....replies.

Folks on the Innerwebs have those pictures cranked up on a 24" monitor and are picking them apart with a fine toothed comb. The judges get 2-1/2 seconds.

Here's my scores-

Chicken 8 because of that one funky piece in the upper right. My eyes clearly go right to it. Color looks great.

Ribs- 9

Pork- 9

Brisket- 8 Because it needs something. Dunno what. It just doesn't wow me enough for a 9.

Overall, they look good. I didn't see any boogers, turds or flecks of spider crap.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
felix31
Got rid of the matchlight.

felix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I also go crazy reading some of the comments about boxes, so I never give any more than a general opinion.
Those look darn good and just a bit of attention to detail in a couple of areas might make them GREAT even to the most jaded judge.

Very Good Job!!

Hint--the bark bits on the brisket will go away if you keep a hot squeeze bottle of broth, with a bit of what ever seasoning you like, handy.
Use it to "wash" the slices, especially the top areas that show and the face of the front one, as they go in the box.
"Tidies up" the meat.

That's my one and only hint for 2012.

Keep up the good work!!!

TIM

Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Well, from the appearance only level, I can see why you got some calls. Visually, looks very good.

Ribs - too much glaze. - 7
Chicken - try to get more uniform pieces. - 7
Pork - the pieces on the ends look a little "done". Maybe cut the ends off, and slice the remaining a little thinner? - 8
Brisket - does look good and inviting. - 8

Also, try to build the box to make sure the food sits on top and does not sink in the box.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Congratulations. What categories did you get the calls?

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote