MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

My advice is never brine your ribs or listen to meathead. I have many bbq friends in PI. The "butchers" there are clueless when it comes to butchering ribs American style. Most of the time it is not even the same cut of meat.

If you ask for Baby Back Loin ribs:

They will give you this instead:

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 05-13-2012 at 11:27 PM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

NorthwestBBQ, I definitely hear you about the brine part. I know that most of this is simply experience and I will have to sacrifice a few sets to learning and making mistakes. And the meat cutters simply are not trained in the cuts we are use to in the States. They get 60 days of Philippine training and that is how they do it. I can't blame them, but my brother-in-law will listen to my request a lot better than the cutter behind the counter at the local grocery store or meat stall. Plus I have to learn to deal with what is here. They were selling the cut you illustrated until recently. Someone new must be doing their cutting since I'm seeing the flatter spareribs in the meat display these days per my previous photo. I did not have to trim those ribs at all except to remove the grey skin on the back of the rib rack.

I'm curious to you comment about Meathead. Do you think his advice, for the most part, is off or just very commercially self-serving? I bought the smokenator based on what I saw on his website. It works okay, but if I'd been hanging out here, I would have started with a couple of firebricks and charcoal on each side with indirect area in the middle. Oh well, I have the Smokenator now so I'm determined to make it work.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatoosh View Post
NorthwestBBQ, I definitely hear you about the brine part. I know that most of this is simply experience and I will have to sacrifice a few sets to learning and making mistakes. And the meat cutters simply are not trained in the cuts we are use to in the States. They get 60 days of Philippine training and that is how they do it. I can't blame them, but my brother-in-law will listen to my request a lot better than the cutter behind the counter at the local grocery store or meat stall. Plus I have to learn to deal with what is here. They were selling the cut you illustrated until recently. Someone new must be doing their cutting since I'm seeing the flatter spareribs in the meat display these days per my previous photo. I did not have to trim those ribs at all except to remove the grey skin on the back of the rib rack.

I'm curious to you comment about Meathead. Do you think his advice, for the most part, is off or just very commercially self-serving? I bought the smokenator based on what I saw on his website. It works okay, but if I'd been hanging out here, I would have started with a couple of firebricks and charcoal on each side with indirect area in the middle. Oh well, I have the Smokenator now so I'm determined to make it work.
The smokenator is a good product but for the most part Mr meathead's advice is off and very commercially self-serving. Here, on the brethren, is where you will get great advice or PM me for local info.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #19
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

Okay, last set of the very flat ribs. Much better but still not great. Partially due to the cut, partially overcooked again, even though I cut my smoke time in half. I did learn more about controlling my Weber/Smokenator combo.

All though the grey skin had been pulled earlier, it seemed like the ribs had two sets and one still remained. The meat was done, I could have had them on for less time, maybe just 1 hour. The one section that had some fat was still pretty juicy, so I think a better cut would have come off much nicer. With no brine, they were not too salty. In fact, they could have benefited from more salt in the rub. I used some Trader Joe's Bold and Saucy BBQ sauce since that is what we had on the shelf. Not so much in choices of BBQ sauce here, usually if you want something different, you need to make it yourself.

All in all, a much more pleasant way to spend an afternoon. Sipping cola on the balcony, adjusting the temps on the Weber and listening to the neighborhood children play in the street. Occasionally reading a bit more of The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin on my plain-jane Kindle. Once and awhile a small cloud would sprinkle us with a short shower and the women would run out to pull their clothes off the clothesline, only to bring them back when it quit.

One photo has been removed by Image Shack for violating their terms of service. Not sure what is going on with that since it was a photo of a single pork rib showing the smoke ring.

Where there was meat, it smoked nicely. The ribs pulled back and I think it was a bit overcooked, even though I changed from 3-2-1 to about half that or less. Still, much much better than yesterday's fiasco!

Last edited by Tatoosh; 05-14-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Tatoosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fiasco, maple glaze, Pig Candy Ribs, Smokenator