MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Default Getting Flavor into pulled pork without saucing or adding rub.

First off I just "love" those that call themselves bbq "purist". They are much like Sister Better than you down at the local Southern Baptist Church. You know that one. They set the standards for everything considered "right" and "righteous".

When I do pulled pork I do as follows:

1. Rub the butt with my homemade rub.
2. Put in smoker and smoke 'til done.
3. Take butt off smoker and "pull".
4. Add my homemade sauce to the pulled pork
5. Put pan of pulled pork with added sauce back in smoker for about 30 minutes.
6. Then serve.

But according to some the "right way" for pulled pork is to add the rub pre cooked to the outside of the butt, smoke, pull, then serve. Well, that's all fine and dandy if some like to do it that way. But I like to do it "my way" because by putting back in the smoker after pulling it I allow ALL THE MEAT to be exposed to "the smoke" and the addition of the sauce mixes with the flavor of the pork and its a marriage made in heaven. Additionally I've found that by adding the sauce when putting back in the smoker turns out MUCH different than simply adding sauce when you go to fix the sammich. The sauce heats up and turns out with a much richer taste than when adding the sauce right before eating.

Every pulled pork sammich I've ever eaten where it was cooked by the "right way" all tasted the same. The only way to give it a "different taste" was adding rub or sauce to the "pulled" part of the butt. You know, the meat that wasn't exposed to the smoke like the outer portion of the butt.

How do you get "flavor" to the meat that wasn't exposed directly to the smoke (like the outside of the butt) without adding rub or sauce to it after its pulled? I love the taste of pork don't get me wrong. But I also like putting a personal touch on it as well that brings a unique flavor.

Okay, venting over!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 01-20-2011 at 03:38 PM..
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

I am glad you vented as I like your idea and have never tried it so now I will. I have sprinkled rub on the pulled meat after I pulled it but never put it back in the smoker. How long do you leave it in the smoker after being pulled? Does this have a tendency to dry out the meat? I will definitely try your method the next time I smoke a Butt and I appreciate your input. Man, I love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I do not have an issue with the meat drying because of the sauce that is mixed in with it. I do a vinegar based sauce so it's real thin and I assume it serves as "moisture" to keep the meat from drying. I've never added rub then put back in the smoker.

I normally leave it in there about 20-30 minutes when I put it back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
I am glad you vented as I like your idea and have never tried it so now I will. I have sprinkled rub on the pulled meat after I pulled it but never put it back in the smoker. How long do you leave it in the smoker after being pulled? Does this have a tendency to dry out the meat? I will definitely try your method the next time I smoke a Butt and I appreciate your input. Man, I love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

30 mins actually give you more smokey flavor? Interesting will see how this pans out. Im not doing a butt for a awhile yet but interesting to see the flavor profile between the two.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Thanks, I really appreciate you sharing your method with us and I can guarantee you I will be trying it out.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

There is a taste difference when putting the pulled pork back in the smoker for an additional 20-30 minutes. I've done enough both ways to know it does make a difference. I've actually done a "poor mans" experiment by taking half the butt and putting it back in the smoker and the other half not. Putting the two in separate pans and serving. The pan with the pork that was put back in the smoker was G-A-W-N at the end of the night where as the pork that was done the "traditional" way still had about a quarter of a pan left. I was told by people there the pan with the pork that was put back in the smoker had a "better flavor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSizzlin View Post
30 mins actually give you more smokey flavor? Interesting will see how this pans out. Im not doing a butt for a awhile yet but interesting to see the flavor profile between the two.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
moda253
On the road to being a farker

INteresting. I will probably give this a try too. However, smoke has an amazing abilityto penetrate especially where moisture is present. Now I'm not a scientist and I havent' stayed in a holiday inn for a while but it seems to me that the moisture in the pork is moving all flowing out and flowing in from top to bottom and all of that. So given that I think that the moisture of the meat is what delivers the smoke flavor to the interior of the meat and it doesn't jsut sit on the bark of the meat.

But your idea is interesting because like you said you are adding moisture to the pulled pork by way of your sauce which should work really well for people that like a solid (not necessarily heavy) smokiness to their meat.

I think on my next cook I will do one butt like I normally do and another as you describe here and check it out.
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
BamaRambler
On the road to being a farker

I usually rub it, smoke it till done, pull it apart, put it in a pan and put the sauce on the side so the guest can sauce it themselves to their liking.
I like your your method also and i will have to try it. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's a great thing to bring up, Bama. Makes me think. I think I'll pull it, put it back in for a while, then sauce it. I bet the meat will absorb more flavor that way. Don't know!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Try it and let me know if you can tell a difference. When I first started doing it i thought it was "just me" and it was more of a mental thing. But when I started getting responses from others such as "This pan seemed to have more flavor than that pan" or when I'd simply do a butt the "traditioanl way" I'd get "This didn't have quite the flavor as the last one you did but it's still good though". When I started getting these type responses I starting thinking "There really might be a difference." So I ran with it.

But do it and get back with me on how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moda253 View Post
INteresting. I will probably give this a try too. However, smoke has an amazing abilityto penetrate especially where moisture is present. Now I'm not a scientist and I havent' stayed in a holiday inn for a while but it seems to me that the moisture in the pork is moving all flowing out and flowing in from top to bottom and all of that. So given that I think that the moisture of the meat is what delivers the smoke flavor to the interior of the meat and it doesn't jsut sit on the bark of the meat.

But your idea is interesting because like you said you are adding moisture to the pulled pork by way of your sauce which should work really well for people that like a solid (not necessarily heavy) smokiness to their meat.

I think on my next cook I will do one butt like I normally do and another as you describe here and check it out.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 01-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
There is a taste difference when putting the pulled pork back in the smoker for an additional 20-30 minutes. I've done enough both ways to know it does make a difference. I've actually done a "poor mans" experiment by taking half the butt and putting it back in the smoker and the other half not. Putting the two in separate pans and serving. The pan with the pork that was put back in the smoker was G-A-W-N at the end of the night where as the pork that was done the "traditional" way still had about a quarter of a pan left. I was told by people there the pan with the pork that was put back in the smoker had a "better flavor".

Bam thanks for sharing as well. I will def give this a go my next cook. If anyone decides to do this please post with results.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I think you've described it better than I did. I may have used the wrong phrase in "more smoke". But rather it adds a richer smoke flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moda253 View Post

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
landarc

I sauce afterwards, and add rub sometimes as well. Never put it back into the smoker though. You got me thinking about it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
First off I just "love" those that call themselves bbq "purist". They are much like Sister Better than you down at the local Southern Baptist Church. You know that one. They set the standards for everything considered "right" and "righteous".

When I do pulled pork I do as follows:

1. Rub the butt with my homemade rub.
2. Put in smoker and smoke for 'til done.
3. Take butt off smoker and "pull".
4. Add my homemade sauce to the pulled pork
5. Put pan of pulled pork with added sauce back in smoker for about 30 minutes.
6. Then serve.

But according to some the "right way" for pulled pork is to add the rub pre cooked to the outside of the butt, smoke, pull, then serve. Well, that's all fine and dandy if some like to do it that way. But I like to do it "my way" because by putting back in the smoker after pulling it I allow ALL THE MEAT to be exposed to "the smoke" and the addition of the sauce mixes with the flavor of the pork and its a marriage made in heaven. Additionally I've found that by adding the sauce when putting back in the smoker turns out MUCH different than simply adding sauce when you go to fix the sammich. The sauce heats up and turns out with a much richer taste than when adding the sauce right before eating.

Every pulled pork sammich I've ever eaten where it was cooked by the "right way" all tasted the same. The only way to give it a "different taste" was adding rub or sauce to the "pulled" part of the butt. You know, the meat that wasn't exposed to the smoke like the outer portion of the butt.

How do you get "flavor" to the meat that wasn't exposed directly to the smoke (like the outside of the butt) without adding rub or sauce to it after its pulled? I love the taste of pork don't get me wrong. But I also like putting a personal touch on it as well that brings a unique flavor.

Okay, venting over!
Well, you're doing it all wrong! Just kidding. Sounds like a good way to do it. My family loves pulled pork, so I'll be trying it soon - although, my daughter does not like sauce, so I'll have to save her some, "plain".

Thanks, Bama.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
bigabyte

Try injecting.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote