MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #10696
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

10695 posts!!!

I built my UDS more than 4 years ago around post 3010 (page 201)

I look at the pictures and it looks so shiny and new. But its had a lot of meat through it since then (wow, that sounds really bad...) it is rusting a bit and I have been kicking around the idea of starting all over again.

The only problem is there are so many good ideas in this thread I can't decide how the new one will be built.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #10697
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare0035 View Post
So I have majority of my UDS built but have a couple issues/questions. I made a weldless fire basket but I am struggling to find stainless steel washers that are big enough to connect to my weber grill I'm using for the base. I heard you are not supposed to use galvanized or zinc coated???
Also this may be a stupid question, but do I need to do a barrel burn for a new drum?
Finally is there a preferred place to install my thermometer (on the lid or just under my bottom grate?

Thanks
Just use some Zinc or galvanized washers. Soak them in some vinegar for about a week and it will take the zinc off. Install the thermometer just below the grate(s).
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #10698
chunkylatinlover
Knows what a fatty is.

Question Minimum height between grates?

I was wondering what the minimum height between each grate would be in order to be able to set them up? i want as many grates as i could get in there to fit as many ribs as i could. Since ribs are relatively skinny, is 4 inches enough space for the grates to fall in place.
chunkylatinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #10699
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

I installed my 3" Tell Tru therm between the grate and it doesn't register right in that location. 150* or so lower than actual grate temps. Thinking of moving it to the lid to try that out.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #10700
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default If one is good, two has to be better....

I built my first UDS about a month ago, it is farking fantastic. So I figured "how about two"? I scored a mini-UDS barrel from work. It was a grease barrel (hand-gun type grease) but it had a heavy duty plastic bag liner in it. I pulled out the liner, voila!, unlined barrel. I Scrounged some parts laying around and presto! a mini is born. Best part is all the parts from a Smokey Joe fit perfect. I still want to add some bling to it, but I smell a seasoning this weekend!! Thanks god I found this site, I found my calling in life.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #10701
PoppyJ
Found some matches.

OK, got me a weed burner and burned the inside liner of the drum. It did not do too great of a job. So I got some really aggressive sanding disc and a wire wheel for my angle grinder. Still had to do a little "drum diving" but it went pretty good. The drum still has some of the liner left in it in spots! Does this surface have to be completely clean or will a couple of good hot burns finish it up? I would say all the line is about 98% removed.
PoppyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #10702
Hammer325
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Seasoning burn is done! Started after work about 6:30 pm, got home from work the next day about 5pm still had hot coals inside. I did have one issue I wanted opinions on. I had a very tough time getting to 250° with all three vents open. I have, based upon this thread narrowed down to three suspects.
First, when I put the fire basket together the longest bolt HD had was 3". Not wanting to go back to Lowes(had already been there) because they didn't have expanded steel which is why I was at HD to start with, I got the 3"ers.
Two, being the first time user may not have started enough coals so it might have floundered because of that?
C) Exhaust opening not big enough/ poor air flow. I have the flat top and the large bung hole( I am the Great Cornholio,,, you have TP?) Is slightly smaller than the one on my second drum that I have not started on yet.

Any opinions would be helpful. Even jokes about Beavis and Butthead.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Hammer325 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #10703
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Hammer, I'll go w/ "C".... although you dont say how many intakes you have open. That could be part of it. Also, you'll finf that after about 6 cooks you'll have a better understanding of how YOUR UDS works. Go get some meat and start smoking!

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #10704
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyJ View Post
OK, got me a weed burner and burned the inside liner of the drum. It did not do too great of a job. So I got some really aggressive sanding disc and a wire wheel for my angle grinder. Still had to do a little "drum diving" but it went pretty good. The drum still has some of the liner left in it in spots! Does this surface have to be completely clean or will a couple of good hot burns finish it up? I would say all the line is about 98% removed.
I'd get it all out, but that's just me....hence that is why I had mine sandblasted after one attempt at burning the liner out.

Having said that, I think you'll be fine. Start with a butt and get the drum seasoned with some smokey pig fat and everything will be alright.

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #10705
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyJ View Post
I can't tell you what to do, but I left a few spots of the tan liner in mine. I figured if the exceptionally hot fires I burned in there, and a couple of cans of eazy-off and scrubbing didn't take it all off a 300 degree cook wasn't gonna release enough toxins for me to worry about. This is in no way advocating anyone to leave any liner in their drum. I'm just telling you what I did. I'm sure there are many people out there who are cooking on drums with the liner still 100% intact. They just aren't posting here. Of all the threads and posts on here about removing the liner, I have yet to read where anyone can definitively prove a fully cured lining is harmful to cook on. It's all relative - you clean the barrel down to bare metal and then cook with wood smoke which contains many known carcinogens. On the other hand, a little extra work getting the liner completely out just to stay on the safe side ain't gonna hurt you.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #10706
n0face
Found some matches.

Stumbled across the idea of a UDS about a week ago hammered a couple of hundred pages of this thread (Great resource by the way) and started gathering materials.

I live in the UK and some of this stuff is hard to find, I've sourced a new 55 gallon open top unlined barrel, just found a pipe fitting company with a trade desk to get nipples and ball valve from and I can order a 57cm weber grate from the UK distributer but the fire basket and some sort of covered chimney (it rains here a lot) is proving more difficult.

A local blacksmith qouted me £125 for a expanded steel basket with ash pan and expanded steel isn't readily available of the shelf any ideas or any islanders here who have built one?
n0face is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #10707
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0face View Post
A local blacksmith qouted me £125 for a expanded steel basket with ash pan and expanded steel isn't readily available of the shelf any ideas or any islanders here who have built one?
My son made this one. No expanded metal. Top & bottom bar is bent into a ring. Bars on the side & bottom. He made it for me at work, on his lunch hour.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #10708
Mr_Nas
Found some matches.

Default Ugly Drum Smoker

Inspired by this awesome thread I started my own build!

The basket

Made some adjustments to the basket

Got me my drum.. Clean on the inside!

Fits perfectly!

Cleaned it and removed the stickers

Bling!

Standing ready for more adjustments

There will be more soon!
Mr_Nas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #10709
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Mr Nas......Nice basket, but I think you're gonna find that you're gonna need a lot more larger holes than that. Ash build up can easily clog them.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #10710
Mr_Nas
Found some matches.

Default Ugly Drum Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Mr Nas......Nice basket, but I think you're gonna find that you're gonna need a lot more larger holes than that. Ash build up can easily clog them.
That's why I already drilled the holes.
The basket "floor" is 47 cm diameter, so when this doesn't work I can put one of the racks I have here lying around in it. But this first attempt looks prettier:)
Mr_Nas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker