MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Olddogken
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Ken

I agree with the seasoning of the new pit as well as cooking a few easy things like chicken, turkey and sausage before the long cook of a brisket. The seasoning is important but so is learning fire management with your particular stick burner. I got a 20" Horizon Classic last September and have used it multiple times each week since and learned so much about fire management at different temps. I am still learning and experimenting but feel I have my foot on a rock going forward now that I have some basics down. And with the cost of brisket these days, even Costco or Sam' Club, you want to be in the best position to succeed. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ken
Olddogken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #17
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Oh yes....start your stick burning journey off easy with some butts and or chickens. You will need to find out the temp that your smoker likes to run at. Brisket is too expensive to learn on.
Congratulations and best of luck!!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #18
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
Seasoned?
You Bet!

Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #19
Mdsteelerfan
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Aaron

Thanks for all advice. Might christian with a butt & a walmart bristket. That way i will only be out $35-$40 if my cook ****s the bed. I plan kn using the warmer/oven to dry out my wood while i am cooking. Now i need to find a wood guy in maryland, lol. Not 100% i recall
reading on LSG’s site that i need to season it for 3-6 hrs so the paint can dry or seal? Hopefully i’ll get a list of instructions when my grill arrives.
Mdsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

When my cooker was delivered I was out of the country for work. It sat in my 130 degree garage for 5 weeks before I fired it up. The paint around the FB/cook chamber still looks great. No signs of bubbling or splitting. Definitely run it low at first.
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #21
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdsteelerfan View Post
Thanks for all advice. Might christian with a butt & a walmart bristket. That way i will only be out $35-$40 if my cook ****s the bed. I plan kn using the warmer/oven to dry out my wood while i am cooking. Now i need to find a wood guy in maryland, lol. Not 100% i recall
reading on LSG’s site that i need to season it for 3-6 hrs so the paint can dry or seal? Hopefully i’ll get a list of instructions when my grill arrives.
i would do whatever chris says. who should know better than him?
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #22
sparctek
On the road to being a farker

I seasoned my LSG per the instructions Chris has on his website. I spent a day keeping the temp right at 250 wit no food in the cooker. It gave me a chance to learn how the cooker drafted, how big a fire was needed to maintain 250, and how much of the intake to keep open. One other thing I learned is that my post oak was not as seasoned as I thought it was. Some pieces burned well while others were little more wet.

All in all I am glad I spent that day just watching the fire and drinking a couple of beers while learning the cooker. It was time well spent and definitely set me up for success on the first cook after the seasoning. But the most important thing is after that day I had confidence in my skill with the cooker.

Today he pit looks good as new and I can easily control temperatures although the sweet spot seems to be right at 275.

You'll love your LSG.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #23
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

Doesn't your first cook have to be a fatty? I thought it was mandatory ;)
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va
akoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #24
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
i would do whatever chris says. who should know better than him?
And This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparctek View Post
I seasoned my LSG per the instructions Chris has on his website. I spent a day keeping the temp right at 250 wit no food in the cooker. It gave me a chance to learn how the cooker drafted, how big a fire was needed to maintain 250, and how much of the intake to keep open. One other thing I learned is that my post oak was not as seasoned as I thought it was. Some pieces burned well while others were little more wet.

All in all I am glad I spent that day just watching the fire and drinking a couple of beers while learning the cooker. It was time well spent and definitely set me up for success on the first cook after the seasoning. But the most important thing is after that day I had confidence in my skill with the cooker.

Today he pit looks good as new and I can easily control temperatures although the sweet spot seems to be right at 275.

You'll love your LSG.
I went from a set it and forget it WSM to an LSG stick burner. There will be a learning curve. Maybe not as much for you as for me, but don't throw a couple hundred dollars worth of brisket on there in case things go sideways.

Season it as Chris describes, low and slow for several hours (the instructions will come with it) and then play around learning your pit. If you have any tuning plates, you are going to want to adjust those to the way you want to smoke. Some try to get even temps everywhere, others like different temp zones so they can do low and slow and Hot and Fast at the same time. I bought a bunch of cheap, canned biscuits and spread them around to look for hot spots. Play with bringing the temp up to 300* and then getting it back down to 225* without losing your fire. Better to learn that now than in the middle of a cook that got away.

This pit will last for generations if you take a little effort to take care of it. Lots of time for those SRF briskets next time.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #25
Mdsteelerfan
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Aaron

Definitely have no intentions skipping the seasoning process. After waiting 12 weeks, 3-6 hrs spent protecting my 4,600 investment will be a breeze. Plus it gives me an excuse to literally do nothing but drink beer & play with fire.
Mdsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #26
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdsteelerfan View Post
Definitely have no intentions skipping the seasoning process. After waiting 12 weeks, 3-6 hrs spent protecting my 4,600 investment will be a breeze. Plus it gives me an excuse to literally do nothing but drink beer & play with fire.
Now you've gone and let the secret out.
The only reason we buy these pits is to "do nothing but drink beer & play with fire".
Great Q is simply a byproduct.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #27
TyJones
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
My first cook on a stick burner was a lesson.
So was my second, and third, and probably my forth. I'm at least on cook number six so I'm a pro........ Joking aside, I seem to learn something new every cook with every cooker.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
TyJones
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
Now you've gone and let the secret out.
The only reason we buy these pits is to "do nothing but drink beer & play with fire".
Great Q is simply a byproduct.
Ok Q is an OK byproduct when it comes to drinking beer and playing with fire........

Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #29
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

I must say, I disagree with most of this advice. You definitely should season your new smoker per the manufacturer's instructions, and learn to operate it while you season it. But then IMHO it's time for you to go to town. Smoke a couple of briskets -- nothing like a good, long, overnight smoking session to learn the in's and out's of your smoker.

No need to fear it -- it's not rocket science. And in my experience almost any form of 'que, including especially briskets, can stand some huge temp swings. I'm sure you'll do just fine, and you'll learn more from a good long brisket cook than trying something cheap and quick.

Just my pov.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #30
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryelfFan View Post
Personally, I would not risk 2 SRF briskets on it and would start with pork butts or chicken. What smoker did you order?
so... don't risk it for the brisket?

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote