MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Montreal Steak Seasoning on Brisket

Didn't have a good brisket rub on hand and didn't have time to make one up, so I reached for the Montreal Steak Seasoning. Really liked it, but seemed to be missing something. Salt, Garlic, and Pepper were perfect, but seemed too bland or basic to me. Maybe a few more herbs, or sugar, or chili powder, not sure.

Anyone use Montreal Steak on brisket with anything else?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
chad

I use it with Jack's Old South rub and I know quite a few other guys use it along with other rubs.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Its in my prime rib recipe. Use it all the time. The recipe is in our recipe section.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
I use it with Jack's Old South rub and I know quite a few other guys use it along with other rubs.
Equal parts or just eyeball it? Thanks for the tip. I've not tried JOS rub. I'll probably try some Head Country and Smokin Guns Hot rub with it.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 10-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Its in my prime rib recipe. Use it all the time. The recipe is in our recipe section.
Phil's Prime rib is real good... but I think the recipe only will work on Prime Rib ... Here's a 5lb boneless prime rib I did a few months back with it....
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 04-13-2007 at 09:33 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

......... seems like some of the well-known rub guys make it a point to differentiate their brisket rubs from all their others. They make a point of noting the special characteristices of beef, brisket, cooking time, as differentiating issues requiring a different rub. I have Spicewine's Heifer Dust, Dave's (Klose) Championship Brisket Rub, John Henry's Brisket Rub.

I prefer John Henry's Old Stockyard Steak Seasoning to Montreal, but would only use it on brisket in an emergency.

Maybe some of the saavy Brethren can add some supporting detail concerning formulation of these brisket rubs.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

Sometimes you'll see a specific brisket rub contain either a more coarse grind and/or less sugar . They'll sometimes market the coarse grind and less sugar as a way to hold up better to much longer cook times for larger cuts of meat and get more flavor into the meat....

Texas BBQ Rub and Dizzy Dust are two that I know of that market a coarse rub in addition to their regular grind. Texas BBQ rub also has very large, noticeable pieces of dried onion or garlic in it... I used Texas BBQ Rub on a brisket once and all I got was a sloppy mess... Did not care for it at all.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

I prefer texasbbqrub #2 but who really gives a chit
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Plowboy

Found this from Richard McPeake on the Rib Stars site. The salt extracting moisture seems to make sense. I suppose you can counteract that a bit with injecting. The low salt on pork butt differs with my viewpoint. I think salt and bbq pork are great together as a seasoning... and not a brine/cure.

Applying Dry Rubs: Dry rubs can be applied the night before or the hour before, this is really is determine by the amount of salt ratio in your rub. The greater the salt ratio the more moisture it will pull out of your meat product. I like to apply my dry rubs on the product while the smoker fire and chamber is getting hot or to temperature. If the salt ratio is lower, I will use it earlier. In my Pulled Pork Rub, the salt ratio is very low, so I apply the rub 12 hours ahead. On ribs and brisket I apply the rub while the smoker is heating up. Chicken I apply the rub just before placing it in the smoker.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Didn't have a good brisket rub on hand and didn't have time to make one up, so I reached for the Montreal Steak Seasoning. Really liked it, but seemed to be missing something. Salt, Garlic, and Pepper were perfect, but seemed too bland or basic to me. Maybe a few more herbs, or sugar, or chili powder, not sure.

Anyone use Montreal Steak on brisket with anything else?
Montreal is a good all-around rub at my house. Just like Phil, I like it on prime rib. Also on cowboy potatoes. The store-bought ones are good, just not as fresh tasting as home-made. Here is the recipe I use to make a Montreal/Canadian Steak Rub. Maybe you can add or increase the "missing" tastes you are after. (BTW, two of the items in my brisket rub that are not in my Montreal are celery seed and paprika, so I guess I would add those).

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
Montreal is a good all-around rub at my house. Just like Phil, I like it on prime rib. Also on cowboy potatoes. The store-bought ones are good, just not as fresh tasting as home-made. Here is the recipe I use to make a Montreal/Canadian Steak Rub. Maybe you can add or increase the "missing" tastes you are after. (BTW, two of the items in my brisket rub that are not in my Montreal are celery seed and paprika, so I guess I would add those).

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Thanks. I've had my two pounder of McCormick's for a year or two, so it is getting a little stale. A friend of mine is a spice and coffee distributor, so I can get some fresh, quality product.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
bbqjoe
Banned

I know some folks who swear by the montreal. (Then again, I've seen them eat out of bustubs)
I'm not crazy about it, but in conjunction with a few others herbs and spices it can probably be improved on.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
JimT
Full Fledged Farker

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Do you have a coffee grinder that will hold all that a once? Mine is just a little guy. 3T of pepercorns would fill it up. Tell me more!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I think Montreal Steak Seasoning is like Emeril's Essence.
Basically a "fit it all" spice blend that is a great place to start if you want to modify it. Or, it works fine by itself in many cases.

Not perfect--just a heck of a good start.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #15
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe
I know some folks who swear by the montreal. (Then again, I've seen them eat out of bustubs)
I'm not crazy about it, but in conjunction with a few others herbs and spices it can probably be improved on.
Its the only good steak seasoning I've used. Not that I've used many.