Doing my first brisket this weekend...

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
along with some butts, ribs and snausages as well as fatties, and the neighbors cat if I can get him into the smoker. Going whole big deal this weekend.

Anyway...doing the brisket. I want to put it in my WSM with the butts. Going to put it on the top shelf and butts under it. I see alot of folks cook the brisket fat cap down. Why?? I'm not headed to competition so looks is as important as taste, I cook the butts fat side up, minimal trimming. cook to 180, cover to 195 then in the cooler for hours???? how many???

I usually try to put the butts above the brisket...self-basting!

I cook fat cap down to preserve the bark on the brisket flat...also, since the fat cap is "throw away" it can help to buffer the meat from the heat coming from below.

You can make great brisket either way.

I cook butts to about 200-205 and then put them up (I use blankets, but that's a different story) for about 3-4 hours - they'll, obviously, hold for longer than that. The holding time definately makes a difference...and you can "overcook" the butts by holding them too long...however, it'll still taste good.

I always go with the fat side up for the self basting effect. If you put the butts above the brisket, I guess you should be OK, and you get the protection from the fire below like chad says. You could also consider layering some strips of bacon on top of the flat to help keep things basted.

Are you going to mop the butts and/or the brisket? This could also affect your plans for how to arrange the meats.

Good luck!

Yep, with butts to go in there too I'd do this one fat cap down, with the butts above. Shouldn't go wrong.

OK guys, a little more details...Butt's I got, Have been very happy with last five or six smokes of butt. I like the idea of butys on top, drip on briskett. Got butt times and wraps and temps etc. More concerned about temp and times on brisket. Scott

Back