MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #31
Murray in N.Z.
On the road to being a farker

ag80n.
Wow your post is a breath of fresh air ... usually when we buy to a tight budget (read cheap) we moan like the dickens B'coz of its faults instead of looking that we got what we paid for. Your list of mods seems easily done and the manufacturer could offer them as options depending on the budget. Its also good to see someone like John that is so upfront about his stuff, it cant be easy getting a flaming all the time for producing a cheap product cheaply. It sounds like he will be making a reasonable smoker into a better smoker in the next few. Well done all round.

Now we wanna see more pron ... Git R Dun

Muzza.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
LeoneSM
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I'm looking to purchase a new smoker and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to buy one with this design to it. For the price, I can't find anything comparable. I understand they're not the "Cadillac", but they still are nice cookers and will get the job done. I do have a couple of questions for you:

Did you talk to or look at the similar smokers from Custom Pits or HBT Welding? I've spoken to Custom Pits and have looked at the HBT Welding website. I'm leaning towards Custom Pits because the smoker cylinder is now 3/8" thick and the build quality seems a little better but I haven't had an opportunity to go look at them. There's a decent price difference and I'm trying to figure out the difference between the three. I'm also a little confused at the HBT/Greasy Hill/Beam's relationship. It's my understanding that Greasy Hill and Beam's are one in the same but HBT is separate but located in the same town.

What thickness is the warming box and the grill on your trailer?

It's really nice to see the modifications you've done and how your smoker now works for you. I'm not opposed to and am able to weld and modify one if I were to purchase it but I at least want it to be square and level and don't want to have to refabricate the whole thing after I pay for it. Your documentation and photos have helped immensely and I thank you for it.
LeoneSM is offline   Reply With Quote