FBA vs. KCBS

Willie's Smokehouse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking to enter some FBA events this year. My question is should i prep/cook as i do for KCBS as far as taste. Do the FBA judges like the sweetnes like KCBS.

I understand the FBA judges really like salt mixed with ginger and cinnamon to make
it sweet.

We placed 1st in backyard Pork in FBA, and two weeks later we placed 25th out of 30 in KCBS. So whatever KCBS wants, maybe do the opposite in FBA!

FBA flavor profile

I cook KCBS and quite a few FBA contests and do not change my flavor profile. I see you are if Fl. so I assume you cook Fl. KCBS,in which case it seems to me less a change in flavor than tenderness. Both seem to prefer sweet just remember FBA counts all judges scores so aim to please all 6 and not wow 2 or 3. As I keep hearing good BBQ is good BBQ no matter where you are. And I hope to see you some FBA contests,you will find us to be a friendly and helpful group.

I cook KCBS and quite a few FBA contests and do not change my flavor profile. I see you are if Fl. so I assume you cook Fl. KCBS,in which case it seems to me less a change in flavor than tenderness. Both seem to prefer sweet just remember FBA counts all judges scores so aim to please all 6 and not wow 2 or 3. As I keep hearing good BBQ is good BBQ no matter where you are. And I hope to see you some FBA contests,you will find us to be a friendly and helpful group.

What Gary says is the way it is.

Most (or many) FBA Judges are also KCBS Judges.
Exact same flavor profiles the best I can tell.

FBA weighs Tenderness and Taste equally as opposed to KCBS which doubles taste scores over tenderness.
Took me a while to get the doneness correct :oops:

Other technical differences are easy to adapt to:
8 serviings as opposed to 6.
No garnish.
One hour between turn-ins.

We have a great time.
Come on out and play.

TIM

Hey Tim,

I did come out and play... where were you? I came to Bartow in Nov and did pretty well. Now I am looking at another one in the near future....

And the FBA judges like my brisket better than the kCBS...

Bill

Hey Tim,

I did come out and play... where were you? I came to Bartow in Nov and did pretty well. Now I am looking at another one in the near future....

And the FBA judges like my brisket better than the kCBS...

Bill

I was in Elba, finishing up the Al leg of the Triple Crown.
Good payday, but not good enough to take the top slot :oops:

We are doing Okee... next weekend followed by Starke.

Hope to see ya.

TIM

I was in Elba, finishing up the Al leg of the Triple Crown.
Good payday, but not good enough to take the top slot :oops:

We are doing Okee... next weekend followed by Starke.

Hope to see ya.

TIM

I am looking at Tavares in April. That one is next door to where I grew up and figured we could make it a dual trip and see the family again while there, or better yet, they can come see me and eat up the left overs so I don't have to throw them away, cause I ain't hauling them this far... :eek:

I cook both and don't make any changes in the state of FL.

Looking to enter some FBA events this year. My question is should i prep/cook as i do for KCBS as far as taste. Do the FBA judges like the sweetnes like KCBS.

I would cook to the Region, not the BBQ Sanction. I learned the hard way 2 years ago by doing a KCBS in Kettering Ohio. Those judges sure as He!! didn't like the same Heat as GA / AL judges. :icon_pissed

Are you serious about the ginger & cinammon idea? That's new to me but was wondering.

remember FBA counts all judges scores so aim to please all 6 and not wow 2 or 3.

I don't really understand this comment about wowing 2 or 3 KCBS judges. A team could wow 4 judges but if they don't please a 5th they're screwed. Top entries wow at least 5 judges in KCBS.

What was meant by the comment is this. If you present a different flavor,as I did years ago with a mango coconut rib glaze,one or two judges score high where one or two score low. When you use a more mainstream profile,brown sugar and butter,you have a better chance of getting a consistent score. Low scores hurt worse than high scores help.The difference of a 9 versus 10 is not as bad as a 7 versus a 9,the point total at the end is what counts. Trying to stand out with a unique flavor can really bite you on the butt......

Back