• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

North Texas Brethren Bash, Saturday Oct 18th - Lake Ray Roberts Isle du Bois State Park

DaveAlvarado

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Never too early to start planning, right?

In the Spring bash there was some discussion of getting together in the late summer or fall.

I really liked the location from last time, that pavilion was plenty big, the restrooms weren't too far, and it wasn't too much trouble to haul smokers down from the parking lot.

Anybody got suggestions about a weekend to use in the August - October timeframe?

***ADDED DETAILED INFO***

Saturday Oct 18th
Lake Ray Roberts Isle du Bois State Park
Gates open at 8am
Pavilion by the playground

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Isle+Du+Bois+State+Park+Rd,+Pilot+Point,+TX

Last edited by a moderator:
Too hot in August and much of September. October sounds better, to me.

And, somebody make arrangements for less than gale-force winds, please.

CD

Only weekend in October that works for me is the 18th. November opens up though...

My GTO event is in early September this year, so late September could work also.

If Dave sets the date, he is responsible for the wind...at least that's how I felt in April :sad:

You guys know I'm a freelancer, so I can't commit to anything more than a week in advance. But, if I can be there, I will. This time I'd like to bring a smoker. I'd even be up for camping, as long as it is late enough in the year to be cool/cold at night.

I sold my air-conditioned camper, so I need to be able to sleep in a tent, and I can't do that if I'm hot. Besides, it isn't camping without a campfire.

CD

I'd even be up for camping, as long as it is late enough in the year to be cool/cold at night.

...so I need to be able to sleep in a tent, and I can't do that if I'm hot. Besides, it isn't camping without a campfire.

CD
This for me as well...

More of this...

2DEE66E4-D8D7-4158-BC9C-4AF9A2DBD055.jpg

Less of this...

225BB083-65D8-485C-A2C1-FEC5A7C4300D.jpg

LOL, the wind was there to test our mettle. But yeah, let's see what we can do about a bash that doesn't, ahem, blow so hard.

I'm fine with the idea of Oct 18th. Mid October is typically mild, sometimes it gets cold by Halloween.

Updated my signature to link here...

If it is October 18th, I don't think we will camp as we are heading to Mexico for our 10 year anniversary over the following weekend, but we'll see.

Terry, maybe we should have a South Texas bash. I'm not sure I can handle Peeps AND Caseydog together.

Terry, maybe we should have a South Texas bash. I'm not sure I can handle Peeps AND Caseydog together.
We ain't so bad... :becky:

I say we throw a South Texas (or MEGA TEXAS) Bash when you can join us...

Mua ha ha, Texas-sized Texas bash. Maybe around the College Station area.

I'll keep that in mind for the Spring.

Pretty sure peeps is highly allergic to the College Station area. Maybe closer to Austin?

October is good for me.

Sounds like enough people are ok with it, let's go ahead and make Oct 18th official.

Everybody ok with going back to where we were before?

To be honest, I preferred the Pavilion area at Johnson Branch where we had the Fall Bash, but I know that is a fair bit further for folks coming from the East...so let them make the call.

It was more wooded, shaded, and scenic, IMO. And maybe a bit more shielded from hurricane force winds...

null_zps4b67d0b7.jpg

null_zps0cb65cda.jpg

So we need to choose between snakes or high winds?

I'm fine with scouting new locations too if we don't want to choose between snakes and hurricanes.

Heck, with the number we had, I could host the Bash pretty easily if the weather ends up crappy.

Back