My new favorite cut of beef for grilling

swibirun

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I tried a cut of beef last week that I haven't tried before - a "boneless top sirloin petite roast" - and we were thrilled with it.

DSC_0193resized-1.jpg

I like it better than beef tenderloin for several reasons:

• $5.99 lb is cheaper than what I can usually get tenderloin for.
  • certified "extra lean" and hearth healthy by the American Heart Association
  • similar texture to beef tenderloin
  • more beefy flavor than tenderloin
  • the 2lb size makes it more convenient for family sized servings
I found mine at Food City in Knoxville and it caught my eye as one of the best looking candidates in the meat case.

DSC_0175resized.jpg

I seasoned it with

• 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme
  • 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp white pepper
and fire roasted it on my Big Green Egg indirect at 350f. Set up was on a roasting rack over a foil meatloaf pan filled with 1.5 cups of beef stock, a garlic clove, black pepper and a sprig of thyme.

DSC_0177resized-2.jpg

After it got close to my desired temp (130f), I switched to direct heat and seared it 1 minute a side

DSC_0185resized-1.jpg

I let it rest 10 minutes and strained the au jus. Sliced it and served with some green beans, roasted potatoes and poured the au jus over it.

DSC_0195resized-3.jpg

The whole family loved it and I will definitely be buying this cut again. It had a great texture and flavor. They also had it packaged in fillets so next time I'll try it as a mock fillet mignon to see if it is just as good.

Looks fantastic :hungry: Never heard of that cut but will have to keep my eye out for it.

Thats a new one on me as well. Will have to give that a try. I like the flavor of sirloin, use sirloin tip roast sliced thin for steak sammys.
Thanks for sharing, great looking plate and fine pics.

Looks really good? I have a feeling that with meat prices skyrocketing the way they are, we are gonna see alot of alternative cuts start to show up.

My heavens! That looks delicious. Never heard of it, thanks for the tutioral.

Well, if nothing else, your photos make me wanna try it! Great job with the cook and the images... I'll have to keep my eyes open for this cut next time I'm at the meat counter...

Nicely done Chris, and right where you want it done. I love that cut of meat.

Looks like it could almost get up and walk around. I LOVE IT!! Never heard of that cut either though. Will have to ask my butcher about it.

Back