CL score Eggstacy

pahutchens

is one Smokin' Farker
Not sure if it was a good deal or a great deal. They originally wanted 10 bucks, then after a lot of inquiries and a web search they asked for 100, I offered 50-60.
Picked it up last night here are the pictures from the CL post
3nc3p33l05Tb5P05R2a3f2a00dfdf8b811f46.jpg
3n43k43l75T95Pa5R6a3f3bc64ddf06551157.jpg
3n53mb3o05Tb5P55R1a3fcab957a78f78175e.jpg

The owner picked it up while stationed in Japan in the 70's.
It has a Mountain image (MT Fuji?) some kanji below and a number 5.
The shell is solid, the bottom fire plate is cracked and it needs fire control vents top and bottom.
I know almost nothing about eggs but felt this was a great opportunity. Anyone know about this model? Where I can get parts or am I in custom repairs? Its about 22" OD across the opening. I didn't get a chance to do the measuring last night.

Swamprb is the man for kamado repairs. JB Weld and furnace cement will repair the firebox. Not sure about the vent covers though.

Good Score. Component pieces from the modern Kamado's may or may not fit. Would be trial and error probably. Certainly a daisy wheel would work for the top albeit maybe not a snug fit.
One thing to be aware of is those older units are made of clay rather than ceramic and are even less durable. It is generally agreed that they should be used for barbecuing(sub 300deg) rather than for grilling at high heat.
Congrats, I would jump on one of those for $50 any day.

Its a Large Japanese clay Kamado with a plug damper. I have a few of them.

100_2684.jpg

Looks like its been painted, two of mine are Hibachi Pots and one of them has a slide damper.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

This is the Imperial Kamado link, its kinda like the Ugly Drum Smoker thread, you should read all about it and learn its history, and check out the repair and rejuvenation links.

http://www.imperialkamado.com/

Download a copy of the Kamado Manual here and check ou the links of various pre-BGE Kamados. at the bottom of the Naked Whiz FAQ page.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/oldmanuals/showpp78.htm

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm

They are good little grills, but a PITA to do Low n' Slow, and they will never do the High temp nuclear Pizza cooks like a ceramic Kamado, but if you are patient with it you'll enjoy it for years. Do a search of my restoration links.

They are good little grills, but a PITA to do Low n' Slow, and they will never do the High temp nuclear Pizza cooks like a ceramic Kamado, but if you are patient with it you'll enjoy it for years.

Good stuff swamprb. You are obviously a wealth of knowledge. Thats a nice collection you have.
Why are they a pain for lo/slo? I have never heard that before. I had one of them back in the 80's for a coupe years and it worked fine for me.

Thanks!

Good stuff swamprb. You are obviously a wealth of knowledge. Thats a nice collection you have.
Why are they a pain for lo/slo? I have never heard that before. I had one of them back in the 80's for a coupe years and it worked fine for me.

Thanks!

The common cause of cracked claypots is overloading of fuel and overheating. You don't fill up the firebox like you would a BGE or Primo, so for a #5 or Large like pahutchens new acquisition you would use @ 28 briqs or equivalent in lump and by regulating the draft, add more briqs as time flies and temps drop. Kind of like an offset cooker needs stoking.
If you read the history, these were originally rice cookers and the dog ears on some of the old style lids are handles to remove it and grill on them. The hinge bands and slide drafts were added for convenience because Americans were snuffing the coals with the plug and the outer shell would crack due to expansion and contraction. (the small Hibachi Pot of mine is one such case)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/oldmanuals/showpp78.htm?I9

A few more relics in my collection.

100_2961.jpg

I started out with an Imperial Kamado Modern style Large that I found at a garage sale for $15 about 18 years ago, and have had an interest in them since I was a kid and a neighbor brought one back from Japan in the 60's.

100_2221.jpg

Sadly, it's been replaced by another Large BGE, but it was the cooker that really got me into Q'n.

Its a Large Japanese clay Kamado with a plug damper. I have a few of them.
They are good little grills, but a PITA to do Low n' Slow, and they will never do the High temp nuclear Pizza cooks like a ceramic Kamado, but if you are patient with it you'll enjoy it for years. Do a search of my restoration links.

Thank you :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Back