And so it begins. WFO Build Indoor Kitchen

Do not confuse insulation blocks with firebricks, they two totally different things. Insulation blocks are to insulate, firebricks are for retaining heat and constructing the oven. Check out the fornobravo website for more info.

yes, I know that - Hence my original question - if there was a reason to use insulation blocks instead of firebricks - as I was wondering if the pre-cast have no need for a firebrick base.

Insulation blocks are about 6x the size of firebricks here & about 1/2 the cost.

I'm not sure what an "insulation block" is. I used k-23 insulating fire brick for my smoker FB and loose perlite with chicken wire for my WFO. I think the two things I would do differently are: ceramic blanket instead of chickenwire and perlite to get the maximum insulation, and less thermal mass in the hearth (I had 3" of clay and 2.5" of regular firebrick)--I would put the firebrick hearth directly on insulation (maybe an aluminum foil vapor barrier).

Have fun. The best part of WFO + smoker is you can burn anything: pine or other stuff in the WFO for heat, then just one or two cooking wood splits for pizza. I'll be getting a magnolia trunk shortly. No idea if its good for smoking, but I don't care--I'll burn it one way or another.

That is looking really nice I love a good sho fly pie Especially if it is a wet bottom My mother use to make a good one

Ok good, if you can get ceramic fiber insulation i would use that, its insulating properties are much better than pearlite, you will need alot more pearlite to reach the insulation Heat retention. Just my 2cents
I have 2 rolls of the ceramic Fiber insulation that is going on next. Then the stucco with the pearlite as the finish coating.

yes, I know that - Hence my original question - if there was a reason to use insulation blocks instead of firebricks - as I was wondering if the pre-cast have no need for a firebrick base.

Insulation blocks are about 6x the size of firebricks here & about 1/2 the cost.

Yes, Eggtastico that is true. The pre-cast is made from refractory cement and is a one piece floor. There is noe need for fire bricks. The insulated blocks are for heat retention in the oven floor. The manufature of the oven is located in Italy company name is Pavesi. There website is located here. http://www.pavesiforni.it/prodotti.php?section=10

I hope that helps!
Jed

Got the insulation installed today and ready for wire lath and stucco next. Looks like a slow cure and wfo pizza next week!

The good stuff

Ready to burn one!

Thanks for lookin

Got my face brick layed today. It was a good day. I haven't layed brick in a while and it felt good to play with my tools again! I cut the Keystome from a piece of stone I found laying in the yard and it just kinda felt right!

Thanks for looking!

Pizza Pizza soon! Shoiuld finish up the stucco work tomorrow and then let it cure and then fire her up for a low and slow cure before the weekend! Than it's Party Time!!!!

Back