Small brisket timing question

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
I know I know..............."It's done when it's done". HOWEVER.....

We've been invited to come over and hang out on Saturday evening with another family at their place and they asked me if I could smoke a brisket for dinner. They're friends of ours and I really don't mind at all, BUT....

I spoke with them the other day and was asking about the brisket (it's one they got from a cow they had butchered) and they said there's actually 2....each about 5 lbs. They thought maybe they were halves.

I'm just not sure what to plan for on cook time is all. I know it'll still take a while, but surely not a full 10 hours to get these done? First time I've actually ever cooked for these folks and since it's their meat I really don't wanna show up with it dry or cold, although I'll cooler like normal and all.

Ideas?

I have a cow butchered once a year and get the briskets from them they usually are 700 to 900 lb cows, so the marbling in the meat is not quite what a older/heavier animal would be. So be careful with it, if done right they are wonderful, since they have less fat than a packer for example I cook at around 225, same as any brisket, foil at 160 and add some broth just to be safe and cook like any other brisket, and start checking doneness at 190 or so, when done get it out of the heat and wrapped and in a cooler to rest. The finished product has always turned out wonderful:thumb::thumb::thumb: keep us posted... Smoke on Brother!!:thumb:
Oh by the way... from my experience with farm raised beef they will cook and dry out quicker than commercially raised beef... just take your time and check it more than normal and the end product will be money!!!!

I've cooked small (5-ish lbs) briskets in the past. I always go by temp, of course, but I'd estimate cook time roughly at about 5 hours at 240-250, then foil it for about another 3 hours at the same temp. That's a very rough estimate based on my last brisket cook. Sound about right?

Thanks for that. I got the meat tonight and they're actually not as small as I was lead to believe. There's no weight on the paper, of course, but these things are as big as a dinner plate and easily 3-3.5" thick. Gotta be 7-8 lbs each. I'm guessing that they are 1/2 flats. I'll find out tomorrow for sure when I unwrap.

Didn't think about them being more lean than commercial beef. Good point. I'll be doing them on the OK Joe Upright offset so I'll be able to check often without pumping up the oxygen to the firebox. I'll definitely take your advice and wrap earlier than normal. There's gonna be 5 families there (just found out tonight) and although we know all the other families well, I still want to put up some good stuff.

Thanks again smokeyokie!

If they are 3-3.5" thick, that is some big flats! Gotta be from some seriously big cows. I do whole packers and hardly ever see one more than 16lbs. I am guessing these are from some older animals with a bit more fat. Hope so for you.
I have kicked up my temps on brisket to 250. Blow through the stall and really cut down the cook time.

wampus, you know what your doin'!

but i'd suggest,cuz this is outside of commercial meat, to really abandon temp, and go by feel 100% for done.

i've found "boutique" meat cooks VERY different than your RD cryo.

much faster, less fat, less moisture to start.

I've only done flats that are around 6# and do them pretty much the way smokeyokie said.They useally take about 8hrs .

wampus, you know what your doin'!

but i'd suggest,cuz this is outside of commercial meat, to really abandon temp, and go by feel 100% for done.

i've found "boutique" meat cooks VERY different than your RD cryo.

much faster, less fat, less moisture to start.

Oh, I will ALWAYS go by feel 100%. :cool: I'm only going to probe them and watch temp to be able to know when to start stabbing for feel. No worries.

Are they flats or whole packers? Sounds like the weight is a bit small for whole packers.

I thiink they are 1/2 flats. I didn't unwrap them last night, but they are about 8" square and a good 3" thick. Since neither one has a really thick part, I'm thinking they are 1/2's or portions of a large flat. When I originally put up this thread, I'd not seen them yet, but was TOLD that they were around 5 lbs each. When she brought them over, I knew they were bigger than that. They're about the size of a butt, just not quite as thick.

The same local butcher that I used for my hog recently processed this cow for them, and I'm pretty sure he just cuts off the point and uses it for grind meat, which is another reason I think it's probably flats.

Back