Brisket take 348, But first on on the Yoder

Melissaredhead

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I'm taking a crack at the whole brisket thing.....again.
I had planned to do just a point because those I can do but the butcher took a dollar off per pound if I took the whole thing. So um yeah here I am.
This will be 348th brisket :)tongue:)but the first one on my Yoder that I got last fall.
Got up at 3 which was really 4 due to daylight savings and let the meat warm on the counter.
Using black ops which I used once before for another point a couple of weeks ago. Great bark for sliced but a bit too thick for burnt ends in my opinion.

Besides the dollar discount what made me choose this was the thickness of the flat. It's nice and even and thick so I'm hoping it's going to be my magic brisket. :crazy:

Now it's Irish coffee and homemade blueberry pierogies (someone else's home) and curl up next to the firebox.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Lookin good! What type yoder is that?

Based on the last pic in the first post, i see where you are going wrong with brisket. You got your firebox above your cooking chamber!

Looks great!

I'm jealous. I want a Yoder Loaded Wichita in the worst way. Good luck on the smoke. I'll be smoking a brisket tomorrow on my drum .

Still learning the new toy. I'm trying to keep it steady at 275 but she creeps up to 300. The vent half open and she likes to run at 290. Everytime I check the igrill it seems to say 290. I dunno.
This will be a hot n fast method it just always likes to run like that.

I'm trying meathead's pastrami too. Have it on the weber like he suggests (charcoal).

Looks good up to know!
Waiting for sliced and cubed pics.
Yesterday my 203F IT brisket was a disaster. Give me some details so I can improve

You're asking the WRONG PERSON friend. My brisket a are either pot roast or crumbs.
But I've mastered brisket leftovers lol.

Nice pit you've got there. I've got the 640 pellet pooper and it's a tank @ 375lbs.

Anyway, I've been thinking about eventually getting rid of it and either just downsizing or else getting an offset Yoder. What are your thoughts on yours, and how often are you having to maintain the fire?

Up at three, man you are one sick puppy. I did the same this morning. I am cooking a 13# brisket on my new backyard offset. Never done one on the new pit. Never done H&F brisket but the pit seems to be enjoying 275-300 range.

5 hours in just BP wrapped and IT is 164.

Nice pit you've got there. I've got the 640 pellet pooper and it's a tank @ 375lbs.

Anyway, I've been thinking about eventually getting rid of it and either just downsizing or else getting an offset Yoder. What are your thoughts on yours, and how often are you having to maintain the fire?

I like working a fire so you know like any offset its not a set it and a forget it. I'm still experimenting but I'm kinda on this left right rotation thing that is working for me and keeping steady temps.

I place a small new log to the far side. It takes about 30 minutes to catch. I'll just push the embers to make a bed and go back and forth.
I've tried other ways like making the fire close to the door but I couldn't get the temp over 200.
I do start off with charcoal and with that and the wood I don't touch it for the first 2 hours easy. After I go to wood it's fussier. But I'm still learning.

Back