MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe
Default Is Elm good to smoke with?

I got some Elm just wondering if it is ok to throw in the smoker, and what kind of flavor profile it gives?
Fishin4bass723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

I am familiar with elm as a landscaping tree. It grows fast, is technically are hardwood, but a soft hardwood. I have never smoked with, nor know of anyone that has smoked with it. I cannot say without a doubt that you shouldn't use it, but I don't know anyone that has used it.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have seen this question many times.....

I myself have never had the opportunity presented to use it.

After a long in depth search I found this on Elm; There are two basic types of Elm - Soft and Hard.
The soft variety has its tops and branches snap off in high winds and often gets hollowed out from rot before it dies.

Article: Wood Species to Avoid
There are certainly wood species to avoid too, as these can impart a resin or turpentine-like taste to your meat. They are almost all softwood species, and include, but aren't limited to:
- Pine
- Fir
- Cedar
- Cyprus
- Sassafras
- Sycamore
- Elm
- Eucalyptus

Discusses his use of elm

Talk about not using elm.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 05-14-2013 at 08:49 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I have seen this question many times.....

I myself have never had the opportunity presented to use it.

After a long in depth search I found this on Elm; There are two basic types of Elm - Soft and Hard.
The soft variety has its tops and branches snap off in high winds and often gets hollowed out from rot before it dies.

Article: Wood Species to Avoid
There are certainly wood species to avoid too, as these can impart a resin or turpentine-like taste to your meat. They are almost all softwood species, and include, but aren't limited to:
- Pine
- Fir
- Cedar
- Cyprus
- Sassafras
- Sycamore
- Elm
- Eucalyptus

Discusses his use of elm

Talk about not using elm.

That pretty much answers my question guess it will be used for campfires instead of the smoker.
Fishin4bass723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin4bass723 View Post
I got some Elm just wondering if it is ok to throw in the smoker, and what kind of flavor profile it gives?
No, it is not o.k. Use it for your campfire.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

When it was burned as firewood dad always referred to it as "urine elm"...the word he used for urine started with a P ;-).

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

That's a definite no.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I remember when I was a kid, climbing trees. The elm would sometimes have this yellowish sap running out of it. If you got it on you, it smelled like poop.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Most elm remaining is of the Siberian(oft called Chinese) Elm variety. Yep, smells like the yellow sap ought to smell. Weak wooded, it really isn't even for campfire wood. I have supplemented some of the free stuff into my wood stove but that's a different thing.

Red Elm(also known as American elm), much of it long gone due to Dutch Elm Disease is an entirely different wood. I've never had any to cook with but I remember the smell of it burning being quite pleasant.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakers View Post
Red Elm(also known as American elm), much of it long gone due to Dutch Elm Disease is an entirely different wood. I've never had any to cook with but I remember the smell of it burning being quite pleasant.
I took down an American Elm last year after it succumbed to Dutch Elm disease. I should give it a try I guess.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

No one smokes meat with Elm.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote