MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
rescue_ranger
Full Fledged Farker

Unhappy Who else is cutting back?

On competitions this year due to the skyrocketing cost of fuel and the higher cost of meats and supplies. I was looking at CostCo’s ribs yesterday and they were $26.00 a pack compared to the $18.00 I paid last year I’m afraid if things keep spiraling out of sight I will only be able to afford 1 or 2 events this year instead of the 4 or 6 I normally do. ( if ya need to move this thread I understand not sure if this is the right form or not)
[I]2 - [COLOR=blue][B]Char-Griller [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]Professional[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I]With offset[/I]
[I]2 -[B][COLOR=darkorange]Gold[/COLOR][/B] [/I][B]Weber 22 1/2" kettle, with therm- sear grate, ash can[/B]
[I]1 - [B]200gal[/B] smoker[/I]
[COLOR=green][B]Rescue_ranger[/B][/COLOR] also known by my fellow [COLOR=red][B]USMC[/B][/COLOR] clan as G-Bear :boxing:
rescue_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I don't do comps but I'm having to cut back. I wanted use the first part of 2011 to practice on doing briskets. I'm not very good at them, mainly because I haven't hardly cooked them. But with these beef prices I simply can't afford to "practice".

My neighbor is a store director for a local Brookshires and he said don't plan on "practicing" anytime soon if I was waiting on the prices to go down.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Take a look at vegetable prices too. $2.99 for a head of green leaf lettuce and its s'posed to go up more!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, everything is going to go up, it is the cost of energy. Unfortunately, over the past 10 years, I have been cutting back pretty steadily. Such that it really doesn't feel bad anymore.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

What sucks about all this, is I'm just starting out. Built my first UDS last fall. We are fortunate that we get lots of beef at no cost, but the roasts can go quickly. I wanted to do a lot of smoking, but won't be able to.
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

It all has to do with the cost of fuel. I drive a truck and when our fuel prices go up, those prices get passed on to the customers in the form of a fuel surcharge. Ours is now at 47 cents per mile. Think about that. The average load goes 1000 miles at 47 cents per. Fuel goes up, surcharge goes up. Fuel goes down, surcharge goes down, food prices go down.
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500
CUTigerQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

It's more than the cost of energy folks. Energy is part of it, but the weather has not been kind to many exporters while demand in China continues to grow.

Food prices started the unrest in Tunisia that moved to Egypt, under a different pretense, and now engulfs much of the Middle East.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Food inflation is a real a terrible thing. Commodity prices are even worse. The consumer has not even felt the true sting yet. Growing a garden this year.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

2006 was 16 chili cookoffs and 8 barbecue cookoffs, all sanctioned. Last year was
down to 2 and 2. This year, probably just 1 and 1.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue_ranger View Post
On competitions this year due to the skyrocketing cost of fuel and the higher cost of meats and supplies. I was looking at CostCo’s ribs yesterday and they were $26.00 a pack compared to the $18.00 I paid last year I’m afraid if things keep spiraling out of sight I will only be able to afford 1 or 2 events this year instead of the 4 or 6 I normally do. ( if ya need to move this thread I understand not sure if this is the right form or not)
I agree. I don't do comps but this week I bought a pkg of Baby backs (3) and a pkg of butts (2) at Sam's...............$68. Gettin' tough.

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Schraufy
Knows what a fatty is.

The costs are rising but I look at it like this, its my hobby and passion. I dont play golf or go on expensive vacations so my disposable income is spent on bbq. Everyone has something that they are into, like all of us are here.
Schraufy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

After the last three years if I cut back any deeper I'll be in the marrow!

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
got14u
is one Smokin' Farker

One good thing about living in Wyoming is you raise your own meat or shoot it, and you grow your own veggies and can them. People around here don't feel it like city folks do. Also when gas prices are high everyone here is working, only good thing about that

Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
FltEng
On the road to being a farker

Funny thing is I got into smoking several years ago to save money. I could stretch out a butt or couple of racks of ribs for the entire weeks lunches. Can't do that anymore...

Pit Barrel Cooker with AF logo
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
[B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange [/COLOR][/B]Thermapen
Maverick ET-732 (2)
FltEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraufy View Post
The costs are rising but I look at it like this, its my hobby and passion. I dont play golf or go on expensive vacations so my disposable income is spent on bbq. Everyone has something that they are into, like all of us are here.
This is also my take on it. Maybe it's time to get back to the basics of BBQ. Taking a less desirable cut of meat and turning it into a tender, juicy, flavorfull protein. Forget the choice briskets, the Berkshire pork. I just ordered a 1/4 beef, while most want steaks roasts and ground beef, I told him I wanted the brisket, tri tip, shortribs and shanks which normally get ground up. Go bargain hunting, think outside the box. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with these oxtails!
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote