MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #46
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Tish, did the popcorn stop at your place?
Phrasty, this build looks great! How are you doing a stop for the grates to prevent them from accidentally sliding all the way out?

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #47
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly-one View Post
Phrasty, this build looks great! How are you doing a stop for the grates to prevent them from accidentally sliding all the way out?
Nah! Smokingj disappeared, but somebody else hooked me up. Want some? Hey, Phrasty! How's the build coming today???
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #48
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Phrasty, got a question. Trying to get accurate measurements on my tank and when I use the math, it comes up to about an inch and a half SHORTER than the measurement I get when I pull a string around the circumference. I'm using the 2*Pi*radius formula where the diameter is 24.5 so the radius is 12.25 when I multiply 2 times pi times radius I'm getting 76.999 (77) HOWEVER my "string" measurement is more like 78.5~78.75....

What do I need to do? I'm trying to cut my door out as 1/4 the circumference so it should go from 1/2 across to the top... the firebox needs to be 1/3 the circumference from the top of the door. Help a brotha out if you can... PLEASE...
Bluehawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #49
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
Phrasty, got a question. Trying to get accurate measurements on my tank and when I use the math, it comes up to about an inch and a half SHORTER than the measurement I get when I pull a string around the circumference. I'm using the 2*Pi*radius formula where the diameter is 24.5 so the radius is 12.25 when I multiply 2 times pi times radius I'm getting 76.999 (77) HOWEVER my "string" measurement is more like 78.5~78.75....

What do I need to do? I'm trying to cut my door out as 1/4 the circumference so it should go from 1/2 across to the top... the firebox needs to be 1/3 the circumference from the top of the door. Help a brotha out if you can... PLEASE...
PM sent Brother!
Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #50
captndan

Math will not a good smoker make. Look at it this way, do you want 1 or2 racks? If it's 1 then picture what you will be putting on it. Same thing for 2 racks. That will be the size of the door. If you're doing bacon and brisket then a 20" door does not make sense. If you're doing whole pigs then the 20" does make sense. You can also make a second special purpose one.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #51
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Math will not a good smoker make. Look at it this way, do you want 1 or2 racks? If it's 1 then picture what you will be putting on it. Same thing for 2 racks. That will be the size of the door. If you're doing bacon and brisket then a 20" door does not make sense. If you're doing whole pigs then the 20" does make sense. You can also make a second special purpose one.
True, but the reason for the math was due to how I'm having to mount the firebox and it not being a reverse flow. Not wanting to be a thread jacker so I will start another thread and take some pics and try to get them posted up as soon as I can but being an ag teacher I don't have a lot of time to work on it except for during shop time so it may take a bit.

BTW Phrasty, thanks for the PM Brotha. It helped me figure things out a little more clearly.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #52
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Another spectacular Phrasty build! Awesome! Subscribed!

Hope everything's going well for you down there, brother. How's the restaurant biz?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #53
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm lovin those racks!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #54
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly-one View Post
Thanks Sly! Don't think I'm gonna have stops for it sliding all the way out, but I am going to have tabs to stop it from tipping over, Dunno if that's what you meant? But I am going to do it like my last build. That design been working great for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Nah! Smokingj disappeared, but somebody else hooked me up. Want some? Hey, Phrasty! How's the build coming today???
Hey Tish... This week had been so busy! Don't you love it when work start creeping into fun time...? lol such is life. I should get some more done over the weekend. Not counting on any major progress until then. Want to redo the hinges and get some handles on. Think I have a pretty cool idea for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
True, but the reason for the math was due to how I'm having to mount the firebox and it not being a reverse flow. Not wanting to be a thread jacker so I will start another thread and take some pics and try to get them posted up as soon as I can but being an ag teacher I don't have a lot of time to work on it except for during shop time so it may take a bit.

BTW Phrasty, thanks for the PM Brotha. It helped me figure things out a little more clearly.
No Problem Brother. Thought you should take a look at this... Could shine some light on the math side for you and offer some proper size ratios for you to work with.

BTW, I was thinking.. since your tank is welded the other way, an easy way to find the straight line of the tank lenth-wise was to level your tank then where your horizontal center mark (from the side) comes around to the front you take your level and mark it off there to get the bottom line for your door. Did that make sense? Im not sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
Another spectacular Phrasty build! Awesome! Subscribed!

Hope everything's going well for you down there, brother. How's the restaurant biz?
Hey Sean, Thanks bro! Everything is good here man. No restaurant yet tho... Still catering. One day tho!

Cheers

Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #55
tish

Will have my seat pulled up to watch the show this weekend, Phrasty. Can't get over how much you've accomplished with it already! Dying to see your cool idea. This just gets better and better!!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 01:57 AM   #56
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Hey Everyone! Didn't get TOO much done today. Had to be on the road for most of the day but I did do a couple detail stuff on the smoker. I fabbed the handles and installed them on the grates and I installed the hold downs for the grates as well. Also started another little detail part that I'll put on tomorrow. Should be pretty cool!

Here are the pics.

Smoothed off the welds and welded on the grate hold downs.

Made a lil jig for the handles and installed them on the grates as well as I had put the tank on wheels earlier in the week so it was easier to move around.

Here they are extended. Also installed the door stops.

Little sneak preview for a part I'm working on for tomorrow.

Thats it for now. Thanks for lookin.
Cheers

Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #57
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post

Little sneak preview for a part I'm working on for tomorrow.

Thats it for now. Thanks for lookin.
Cheers
LOL... just a few more tack welds shouldn't hurt.

Tack/link.... tack/link... tack/link... tack/link... ouch!

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #58
EX~DY
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dominic

Awesome work Phrasty!

In the end it will be okay.
And if it's not okay, it's not the end.
EX~DY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #59
Greyeagle
Knows what a fatty is.

I like the double doors with no middle divider in the pit ..Good job
KC
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #60
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

this project is coming along great. your thorough documentation is well appreciated here as someday i hope to build one of these