MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
Fattom
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Charcuterie recipes

Have I missed this section or is there one? I'm looking for recipes that involve cured meats like salami, bologna, beef jerky, capocolla, prosciutto, pancetta, etc. Is it scattered about the forum? I'm having difficulty in my searches? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tom
Fattom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's scattered throughout Q-Talk (although I'd LOVE to see a dedicated Charcuterie section here, too!!). Fatback Joe started a thread called "Charcuterie Thread", but it's mostly (breathtakingly beautiful) pictures, not many recipes. Most of the recipes I've seen posted were or were based on those from " Charcuterie" by Ruhlman and Polcyn. If you don't have it, it should be on your Christmas list!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
MisterChrister

And a BIG "Welcome to the forum" from Wisconsin!

Old 11-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Buy Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley Marianski. It's about 20 bucks and is the bible of home sausage making. I own several books on home charcuterie and this is by far.....by far! the best one.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
MisterChrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
Buy Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley Marianski. It's about 20 bucks and is the bible of home sausage making. I own several books on home charcuterie and this is by far.....by far! the best one. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages: Stanley Marianski, Adam Marianski: 9780982426739: Amazon.com: Books
Agreed this is another "must have" for anyone getting into and staying into charcuterie. But I thought Kutas' book was the one usually referred to as "the bible of sausage/cured meats"??

Old 11-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Fattom
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks I have several books and have spent considerable time and research on the subject. Books and research are great but there's nothing like personal experience. I was hoping to find it here in an organized fashion. Any suggestions of a forum that may be more in tune to this subject? Tom
Fattom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

There are many great books and guides on sausage making. I am sure almost everyone who posts may have a few recommendations for books on sausage making. These are by far the best books for basic and advanced sausage making. They start with the basics and move forward to help you master the craft of sausage making. Contains true recipes before the use of chemical enhancers/additives, and fillers were added to stretch the amount of production.

If you're really interested in sausage making, then invest in one of these recommended books for sausage making and curing meats....

While there are many books out there that all contain enough information to get you off to a good start, there are a few books that I highly recommend.

First Recommendation..

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley Marianski and Adam Marianski

This is a book that covers everything from making a smokehouse, to curing meats, and making sausage. Very easy to read with a great collection of recipes and techniques for the beginner. This book is actually two other books ("Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design" and "Polish Sausages, Authentic Recipes And Instructions") combined into one single book plus more on making sausage and curing meats.

Second Recommendation..

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas and Ben Kutas

This is a definitive book on sausage making. The explanation of how cures work, and what they are for, is worth the price of the book. The smallest quantity the recipes are for is 10 pounds, so a beginner will have to scale down the recipes. It is equally helpful to a beginner or the advanced. Some of the recipes are a little too salty for my taste, but I just reduce the salt in the next batch.

Third Recommendation..

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn

This is a great book, although it touches the basics, I feel the book is more for an intermediate sausage maker. This takes sausage to the next level with using some top shelf ingredients to make sausages that could be considered in the gourmet classification. Michael Ruhlman has many proven recipes. Have an understanding of the basics before you try to get into the gourmet recipes contained herein.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
And a BIG "Welcome to the forum" from Wisconsin!

Also check out a blog called "cured meats". Tons of great recipes on there. It's on blogspot.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattom View Post
Thanks I have several books and have spent considerable time and research on the subject. Books and research are great but there's nothing like personal experience. I was hoping to find it here in an organized fashion. Any suggestions of a forum that may be more in tune to this subject? Tom

You will see a lot of posts here in Q-talk on the subjects of sausage making and curing.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
mike-cleveland
is one Smokin' Farker

I think the thing here is don't be afraid to try. I am currently curing my first brisket. It may be good, or maybe I messed up along the way. Just try.