MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Chicken Grill-Fried Steak

I had thawed out a KC Strip for lunch today, but I also wanted to enter the Ground Meat Throwdown. I knew it would seem just ridiculous to make a hamburger out of a KC Strip, so I put my thinking cap on for a bit. Then I took it off because it hurt.

Oh, one other thing....I had a couple of minor problems come up while preparing this. The first of which is my good camera might just be on the fritz! It turned on, and just when I went to snap the first pic it went dead. So i had to resort to my backup crappy camera.

So here's the KC Strip...

And here it is cubed...

And here it is after running it through a coarse grind...

I took the meat and mixed in my normal steak seasonings because, well, I really like it a lot. I then put the meat in the fridge while I started up a chimney full of lump.

While the chimney was firing up, I took a Russet Potato...

Sliced it in half and removed a dark spot...

Then I wrapped them in some foil to keep the liberals from turning them into tofu...

I dumped my chimney of lump into my 22 inch Weber kettle...

And arranged the coals to cook offset...

Then I let the grate get good an hot on both ends, gave them a solid scraping and brushing, and then brushed them with some oil...

Then I put the potatoes on like so, put the lid on and went back inside to work on the meat...

I started to get a breading station set up with flour, egg and cracker crumbs, and this is when I ran into my second problem of the day...someone took my last 2 eggs! They were there this morning! Why did someone decide to make eggs today without consulting me first?

So here I was without eggs, and things already in motion. I quickly tried to think of some good egg alternatives and then shrugged it off. I didn't have time to keep thinking, only to screw things up. So, I went with just the cracker crumbs.

I formed two little steak-ey shaped sorta things with the meat, and pressed them into some cracker crumbs a few times to get a good layer of cracker crumbs on the outside, and even mixed in a touch with the outer meat, like so...

Once the potatoes had been on for 20 minutes, I hit the steak-ey shaped things with a bit of spray-Olive Oil to help crisp up the cracker coating on the steak-ey bits. I put them on the grill and flipped and rotated the potatoes like so...

Then I went inside to make up some gravy.

After 10 minutes I flipped the steak-ey things like so...

At this point my potatoes were soft so I took them inside to make Mashed Potatoes with them. After another 10 minutes I flipped the steak-ey things directly over the coals to finish them up and give the breading a little more brown color...

After about 90 seconds I flipped them again to brown the other side...

After I pulled the steak-ey things off the grill I put on some Green Beans (I forgot to take a pic of those, sorry).

And here it is all ready to eat.

It was fan-farking-tastic! I do think the breading could have been a bit more crispy, but the taste was just absolutely perfect in my opinion. I'm ready to try this again once I have some eggs.

Thanks for looking.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Looks good to me! CFS on the grill, gotta try that. Thanks for the pics.
Homebrewed Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Flippin' good looking steaks!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
deguerre

And people gave me heck for cubing and marinading a rib eye. Harrumph.
Still though, nice application for chicken fried! Stick it on a bun and you've got a chicken fried burger. Don't tell Smokey Al though...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Cool! That looks great. What temp did you go with? Maybe crank it up higher to increase the crisp.

Normally I'd cry to see you grinding that steak up, but it was already frozen....
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Quit your whinning Ribeye Murderer!

Chris that's awesome.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Chris that looks fantastic! Bet it was melt-in-your-mouth good!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I formed two little steak-ey shaped sorta things with the meat
You KNOW that it drives me crazy when you talk all technical-like thingy...

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Still though, nice application for chicken fried! Stick it on a bun and you've got a chicken fried burger. Don't tell Smokey Al though...
Actually....my first thought was to take the ground steak and form it back into it's original shape, and wrap around the edge with some bacon to give the appearance of the strip of fat along the edge of a KC Strip, and just cook up a "reformed" KC Strip steak. But then I thought better of it. Like you said, this application is dual purpose, it can be Chicken Fried Steak, or it can be a Burger. I like it when things can be used for multiple purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Cool! That looks great. What temp did you go with? Maybe crank it up higher to increase the crisp.

Normally I'd cry to see you grinding that steak up, but it was already frozen....
I originally wanted to use your Chicken Batter...but when I saw the cook times I decided to go with cracker crumbs instead. I think either higher heat, or maybe less time offset and more time on direct heat would help. It may also help if I had farking EGGS to get the crackers separate from the meat! Farking eggs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
You KNOW that it drives me crazy when you talk all technical-like thingy...
I suppose I should have gone into greater detail on the potatoes then. It's important to get them to the right mushy level, and the process of smooshing and adding bits and smidges of this and that can really get rather involved. I just didn't think anyone wanted to read all that, guess I was wrong.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Forgive the noob and his ignorance.
So what was the point of grinding the steak? Purely for Throwdown reasons? Could the steak been breaded without grinding it up?
Just curious.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas68 View Post
So what was the point of grinding the steak? Purely for Throwdown reasons? Could the steak been breaded without grinding it up?
Just curious.
Well, I created this for the Throwdown, but grinding may still be a good option even outside of the Throwdown. If you just breaded a KC Strip, it might not be as tender as you normally expect a Chicken Fried Steak to be. In my opinion, you should not need a knife to eat a Chicken Fried Steak. In this case, grinding it allows this. Now, you could tenderize it with other means, like the traditional pounding, but with pounding the meat would get pretty thin and you would probably overcook the steak to brown the breading. A jaccard might work.

Duh.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I originally wanted to use your Chicken Batter...but when I saw the cook times I decided to go with cracker crumbs instead. I think either higher heat, or maybe less time offset and more time on direct heat would help. It may also help if I had farking EGGS to get the crackers separate from the meat! Farking eggs!
When I first saw what you were doing, I thought "Uh oh!" One of the experiments I did was with pork. The problem was that the juice is runny and leaks through the batter making it soggy -- you know, the runny, red soggy, gross spots that you might expect. I didn't do any more experimenting with pork or beef. I wanted to avoid cracker or bread crumbs as this is another form of crutch -- nothing against it, but it was not what I was going for. When I saw that is what you did, I breathed a sigh of relief. I'm not saying you can't do it with batter, but I would crank the heat up to 450*-500*. I don't know if that would work, but it is what I would do next. It'd also be a faster cook obviously.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas68 View Post
Trust me! This will not be the last time you wonder what Chris is doing and why. It has nothing to do with being new to the forum.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

WHat spice mic did you season with... not another secret is it???
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
WHat spice mic did you season with... not another secret is it???
Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Plowboy's Bovine Bold, Durkee 6-Pepper Blend, Canadian Steak Seasoning.

Duh.

Tags
Breaded, burger, CFS, Chicken Fried Steak, Country Fried Steak, Ground Beef, steak