Brisket, Chick, Fish?

Chef Jim

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Did a cook yesterday, thought I had the Dera just about right. Sharon (BHSLH) bought a brisket the size of a postage stamp, 1.5 lb. some Salmon on sale, and Chick leg qtrs, on sale.

Decided to do them all at he same time? Maybe not the right decision but I did it.

Foiled the grids so as not to drip on one an other.

Pulled the Salmon at 150 and kept goin on the rest. Salmon is good!.:-D

Leg qtrs. just after at about 170, just had one for lunch and it was great. :-D

But, the brisket was crap. After reading some previous posts I think my temp was way low, about 165. But I figured that after 6 hours with something this small it should have been done.

Tasted good but was tuff and not what I hoped for.

I have just found a butcher that will special order a half brisket for me, about 8.5 lbs. but don't want to spend a lot of money until I know I have my system right.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated! :-D

Jim

PS how much difference does it make if the chamber has one item or multiple?

You should cook it longer. I usually start checking tenderness when it hits 180-185. Somewhere between there and 200-210 it should get tender.

But the question? For a piece of meat that small, should it take that long. And what is the effect when the chamber is full vs nothing else?

Still learning! :-D

Small pieces can get pretty weird, but the rule is the meat needs time+temp+moisture to get done. So however long it tkes to get to temp is what it takes. I have had little pieces of shoulder cut pork country style ribs, little bitty things, take over 3 hours to get ready. Another thing to consider is if you actually managed to dry out the meat in that time. This is more unlikely considering you never got it to the proper temp for it to become tender, but had you done that and it was still tough and dry it could have been from that.

As for the effect of full chamber vs empty, the only time there is a difference is if it is crammed full. In tht case, the ambient temperature around the neighboring pieces of meat will affect the cooking of the pieces of meat around it.

Chris, thanks for that. I just thought that the brisket being that small it would get up to temp sooner. Will go for the higher temp next time. Thanks a bunch, am having the Salmon tonight over a salad tonight, Yummy!

Back