New Jambalaya Pot is really rough

Mr Baloo

Got Wood.
Reaction score
First, I apologize if this doesn't fit here... but I didn't know where else to go... Yeah I know, what a lost soul I am.... but here is my question.

This aint Que, but I is outdoor cooking..... hope someone can help.

I have a new 15 gallon cast iron jambalaya pot. I cooked the wax coating off of it and seasoned it. However, the cast iron just seems to be rough. Not talking rough as in needs more seasoning, I am not new to cast iron skillets, but this is pebbley rough.

Should I take a grinder and flap disc to it to smooth it out and then re-season it?

I have only cooked in it one time and it didn't stick too bad... but it sure isn't smooth like my skillet. Thanks for the advice.

Baloo

hmmm, most I have seen are smooth like a wok and I live in cajun country. Some of the cheaper casts could be rough, I'm not sure what brand you have or how much you paid for it. Do not take a grinder or flap disk to it as any deeper scratches can collect food and cause sticking. Any pic by any chance.

I have had a couple like that. They do wear in eventually, with enough scrubbing the surface evens up. My solution has just been to use a lot of bacon fat when browning things.

Is there anything bacon fat can't do? :noidea:

I have yet to find a way for it to help me loose weight. :mrgreen:

I have a pot that was like that too. The inside smoothed out but the outside is still bumpy. Seems like I never got the wax off (although I think I did) that was kind of always in the back of my mind. I have had it for 5 or 6 years now, probably use an average of 2 times a month and it works just fine.....it is just bumpy on the outside. :confused:

It still bugs me a bit, but not enough to do anything about it.

I have a lodge cast iron skillet that came pre-seasoned with a bit of a smooth, pebbly surface on the inside. I re-seasoned it and have been using it quite a bit for the past two years. It is as non-stick as the best of my smooth surface ones.

I agree on not using power tools. Some plain old rough sandpaper will do the job.

Thanks guys.... I bought this thing in a rush when LSU was in the championship game last time, I say "in" the championship game cause they sure did do anything in it.... anyway, normally I take my time and research and ask a lot of questions to those that know before I buy anything, but rushed it in this case.

I will do some minimal sanding on it... to see what I can do... then spend a few days pre-seasoning it....

This is a big benefit for a local charity and the YMCA who have done a lot good things in our community, so wanting to make a good show.

You can take a grinder, with a sanding wheel on it, and sand the inside smooth. I have done this with a regular cast iron pot. Then just reseason, or the best way I have found is to fry something in it. Fish, chicken, cracklins. It does not matter.

Agree with toddrod on the light grind and seasoning method. Even though I am a yankee, I still like some deep fried fish, pickles, and onion rings in my cast iron while cooking over a nice bed of hardwood coals.:grin: I have always admired the outdoor cooking that goes on in Louisiana. Hope your pot makes some good chow!

The old school cast iron was machined to be smooth. I have several old Wagner pieces that you can easily see the machine marks. I would definitely smooth by whatever method you have available, then season.

Back