Inkbird IRF-4S - Very Disappointed. Now I need a new thermometer. Suggestions?

slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
The Dark Bark
I just picked this up a few days ago and tested it last night and again this morning. Not only is it difficult to program the instructions are horrendous, but the oven probe also doesn't work. I am doing an overnight cook on Saturday and this is THE MAIN reason I bought it, to alert me if the temp goes high/low in my Traeger. I bought it from amazon and will be returning it.

Now my problem is, I need to get a replacement thermometer ASAP (not the same model). My budget is around $75, so I cannot afford to spend the $190-250 on some of those other thermometers that others have suggested. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Daba's BBQ

I have found my Inkbird to be a whole lot better than my ThermPro. YMMV.

I have an Inkbird for controlling freezer temps when carbonating beer. While it does the job quite well, I keep the instructions in a very handy place because I have to refer to them every time I use it to understand their cryptic and weird abbreviations.

I just picked this up a few days ago and tested it last night and again this morning. Not only is it difficult to program the instructions are horrendous, but the oven probe also doesn't work. I am doing an overnight cook on Saturday and this is THE MAIN reason I bought it, to alert me if the temp goes high/low in my Traeger. I bought it from amazon and will be returning it.

Now my problem is, I need to get a replacement thermometer ASAP (not the same model). My budget is around $75, so I cannot afford to spend the $190-250 on some of those other thermometers that others have suggested. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Daba's BBQ

Have you called for tech support? They should make it right.

I have 4 different Inkbird products and they have been flawless, but I told a friend about them when he was looking for a new thermometer so he purchased a IRF-4s. It worked great for him for about 2 months then the pit temp would start making wild temp swings (like jumping over 100 degrees and 1 minute later dropping 150 degrees then right back up again through out the entire cook. I took mine over and we used it on the next cook along with his, mine read correctly but his continued the wild swings. He tried to get Inkbird to replace it or repair it but they just keep telling him things to try which he did but nothing worked. They never offered to replace or repair it so he finally told them where they could stick the probes and bought a Maverick 50.

I felt bad since I had talked him into the Inkbird so I will also change brands if mine ever go bad due to the poor customer service experience he had on a two month old unit.

Last edited:
I’m one of the ones that will never buy an InkBird thermo for the grill again.

I’ve had 3 and they all cramped out within months. One didn’t even last 24 hours.

Junk electronics IMHO.

Isn't it amazing the different experiences folks can have with the same product/company? None of which are wrong per se, but sure makes deciding who has "good" stuff and "good" customer service harder.

Any company can have a piece of equipment go out that has a faulty solder or circuit board. What makes the difference, and what the company has total control over, is customer service in dealing with these inevitable instances.

Isn't it amazing the different experiences folks can have with the same product/company? None of which are wrong per se, but sure makes deciding who has "good" stuff and "good" customer service harder.

A factor that is sometimes overlooked is the customer service one receives is often dependent on the behavior of the customer seeking it.

it could also be that the products defective and the folks on the end of the customer service email line are clueless

it could also be that the products defective and the folks on the end of the customer service email line are clueless

Ya, they’re junk. Trash.

No doubt in my mind.

I’m glad they’ve worked out for others, but I’m not one of the lucky ones.

Last edited:
I have a few Smokes, an Inkbird, Fireboard, I Grill's, Mavericks, etc. so far the Fireboard provides the most accuracy and best data logging for me, so far.
My Inkbird arrived with a bad port right out of the box...

Last edited:
Perhaps y'all should go back to basics and quit relying on gizmos to get 'er done..... :boink:

:pound:

:bolt:

Back