MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #16
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole

Fajitas are simple. Bolners fiesta is good stuff and my go too. If you want to marinade I use 2 parts pineapple juice 1 part beer 1 part soy. Cook over really hot coals. Get outside skirt if you can find it.

The above is my best copycat of HEB pre-marinated skirt.

The same goes great on boneless skinless thighs.

Old Country Pecos Stick Burner / Weber One Touch Platinum / Camp Chef Flat Top 600 / Caja China (Pig Box) / Weber Spirit Gasser / Weber Q 1200 Tailgator / Ooni Pro Pizza Slayer / Vision Kamado Pro
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #17
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

1) Buy skirt steak that is neither too thin nor too thick.
2) Try and trim as much of the fat/silver skin as possible Yep, if you get the untrimmed ones from the Mexi Mart.
3) Pound it with a meat tenderizing hammer I Jaccard the crap out of it, the local Mexi Marts run it through their tenderizer.
4) Marinate overnight in a mixture of beer/Italian dressing/Fiesta Brand Mesquite Fajita Seasoning Italian Dressing? This is Mexican food.
5) Sear it quickly direct over a blazing hot mesquite coal bed
6) Move it to indirect and let it come up to roughly medium/medium rare (this is dang hard for me to guess on a thin cut of meat but I usually at least get this part right) It's a thin cut 2 - 2 1/2 minutes per side is all you need.
7) Let it sit for 20-30 minutes then slice against the grain I let it sit however long it takes me to get a plate and grab a knife. 2 minutes tops.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #18
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Ain't never seen a skirt that looks like that? The ones I get are about 2 feet long. Maybe a different cut? Flank maybe?
Definitely flank. Still tasty though

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #19
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

So you're marinating in ITALIAN dressing to make a Tex-Mex dish?! Are you using parmesan too, or subbing basil for cilantro? What kind of beer? Guinness? You are way overthinking this very simple dish. Marinate in lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper , maybe half hour, grill it, rest for 5, maybe 10m, then slice it. The skirt steak is long, 1.5-2ft long and about 6-8in across. The grain goes the short length of the meat, not the long. So cut it into smaller chunks, then slice against the grain/the short width of the meat, "thin to win". Flank is also fine to use instead of skirt too.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #20
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

in Texas restaurants mostly use the following marinade:

3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, 1 part water.

If you go to Pappasitos or El Tiempo, this is what they marinade their fajitas in. Also, Pappasitos uses sirloin flap meat. I have seen it at Costco a couple times. Looks like skirt steak and is thicker. But good quality skirt steak with silver skin, membrane and fat trimmed would work just fine. Marinade from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Do not marinade overnight. No need. Cook over a very hot fire about a minute and a half per side. Rest for 5 minutes and cut against the grain. Simple.

For me, I just trim and apply course sea salt. Grill as stated above. Baste with some salted butter when it comes off of the grill and a squeeze of fresh lime juice then let rest.

No reason to overthink things.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #21
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

The problem is probably outside vs. inside skirt steak. Outside skirt is hard to find. Sometimes I get a good inside skirt steak but it's hit or miss. Flank steak is a good option, I find. It's thicker and a little easier to keep from overcooking. It's maybe not as flavorful and it's more lean. Higher quality meat makes a big difference.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #22
BGEChicago
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : none

I usually go to a supermercado for skirt steak, they slice it ultra thin and run it through a blade tenderizer, I made these last night:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks,
Greg
BGEChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #23
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

As much as I like perfectly cooked skirt steak fajitas, I just use chicken 90% of the time.
So much cheaper, too, unfortunately.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #24
aks801
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
in Texas restaurants mostly use the following marinade:

3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, 1 part water.

If you go to Pappasitos or El Tiempo, this is what they marinade their fajitas in. Also, Pappasitos uses sirloin flap meat. I have seen it at Costco a couple times. Looks like skirt steak and is thicker. But good quality skirt steak with silver skin, membrane and fat trimmed would work just fine. Marinade from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Do not marinade overnight. No need. Cook over a very hot fire about a minute and a half per side. Rest for 5 minutes and cut against the grain. Simple.

For me, I just trim and apply course sea salt. Grill as stated above. Baste with some salted butter when it comes off of the grill and a squeeze of fresh lime juice then let rest.

No reason to overthink things.
There ya go. Ex-Pappasito's employee here, and I can tell you that's what they do. Sito's fajitas are regarded as some of the best anywhere.
"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true"
aks801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #25
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

It said flank on the wrapper. I'm old; leave me alone....LOL

But flank does make nice tacos.

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 09-06-2019 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: softening the snark
SmokinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #26
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Fixed it, see?

Old 09-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #27
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks801 View Post
There ya go. Ex-Pappasito's employee here, and I can tell you that's what they do. Sito's fajitas are regarded as some of the best anywhere.
All marinade and no seasoning?
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #28
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Buy meat,soak it in what you like,cook it.Put it on a tortilla.Change it up if your first trial fails.Kinda like BEANS. To each there own.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #29
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

UPDATE: Skirt steak, pineapple juice, and soy sauce purchased. Getting back on the horse tomorrow afternoon...will keep y'all apprised of my success/failure.
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote