MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #331
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatts2003 View Post
Correct, but if there is a backyard team out there that is thinking about making the jump to KCBS they cannot read the rules on the website without having a paid membership. IMHO the rules should be made available to everyone whether you have a paid membership or not.
I most heartily disagree, if I could I would require every head cook to be a dues paying member of KCBS.
If this backyard team is too cheap to become a member then maybe they could find a current member and ask to look at their computer.......
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #332
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
I most heartily disagree, if I could I would require every head cook to be a dues paying member of KCBS.
If this backyard team is too cheap to become a member then maybe they could find a current member and ask to look at their computer.......
Ed
Fair enough. That's the great thing about this world, we are all allowed to have opinions, and I definitely respect yours. I just know when I was thinking about making the jump from Backyard Fair comps to KCBS I found it helpful to have the rules available before I made any decisions so I had a good idea of what I was about to get into.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #333
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Something else that came to mind. What ever happened to splitting (and awarding) tiers in ToY? That seems to have just vanished.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #334
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Ed
What a great way to kill off new teams coming in or a contest struggling to get to 25 trying to get some locals or a backyard team to jump in.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #335
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Something else that came to mind. What ever happened to splitting (and awarding) tiers in ToY? That seems to have just vanished.
It did...it's like they found something that generally everyone was in favor of, and said, "Nah....too popular."

Old 09-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #336
ModelMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
What a great way to kill off new teams coming in or a contest struggling to get to 25 trying to get some locals or a backyard team to jump in.
$800 to $1000 investment and you get squeamish over a $40 (I think) membership fee so that you can fully understand the rules of a contest you are contemplating entering?
Like I said find a member and suck off his teat...
Ed
KCBS certified judge

Old 09-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #337
Beer Belly BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
$800 to $1000 investment and you get squeamish over a $40 (I think) membership fee so that you can fully understand the rules of a contest you are contemplating entering?
Ed
Its not about the $40. We are currently struggling to get to 25 teams for a contest this week and we are relying heavily on local teams that have never competed or wanted to in the past. This isn't their passion or hobby, but instead they are doing it because they don't want to see a local event go away. Why not make the rules accessible to the general public? If they had access to the rules beforehand, maybe we won't have to worry about them inadvertently having something wrong in the box which leads to a DQ and ultimately costs the GC a shot at the Jack and Royal.
Beer Belly BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #338
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Belly BBQ View Post
Its not about the $40. We are currently struggling to get to 25 teams for a contest this week and we are relying heavily on local teams that have never competed or wanted to in the past. This isn't their passion or hobby, but instead they are doing it because they don't want to see a local event go away. Why not make the rules accessible to the general public? If they had access to the rules beforehand, maybe we won't have to worry about them inadvertently having something wrong in the box which leads to a DQ and ultimately costs the GC a shot at the Jack and Royal.
I think not having access to the rules is very unlikely to be the problem.
Bigger question is why is the event struggling?
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #339
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Ed
This makes no sense. A backyard team is not going to spend $800 to compete. Expecting anyone to pay to see the rules is ridiculous.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #340
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Belly BBQ View Post
I might be mistaken but I believe there is a new free tier membership that they added this year for just these kinds of issues. You can do some stuff such as read rules but don’t get all of the benefits.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #341
ModelMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
This makes no sense. A backyard team is not going to spend $800 to compete. Expecting anyone to pay to see the rules is ridiculous.
OK $200-$300-$400 you should support the organization your trying to win money through. Or be a non-supporter and read the rules from a paying member.
Ed
KCBS certified judge

Old 09-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #342
pharp
Banned

Quote:
OK $200-$300-$400 you should support the organization your trying to win money through. Or be a non-supporter and read the rules from a paying member.
Ed
Or maybe you are just wrong and this a terrible take. Hiding the rules behind a paywall for an organization that needs new members is literally the dumbest possible move.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #343
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Ed
Most people are more concerned with supporting the local organization putting on the contest then the organization that is being paid to be there. That's not to say i'm disagreeing with you, i've always thought it weird that to be a judge you needed to pay $50 but to compete you did not.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:33 PM   #344
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
Most people are more concerned with supporting the local organization putting on the contest then the organization that is being paid to be there. That's not to say i'm disagreeing with you, i've always thought it weird that to be a judge you needed to pay $50 but to compete you did not.
Having to be a member to compete and be a member to read the rules is not the same thing.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #345
Barefoot BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

This is confusing to me.
Most comp sites I’ve enter have the KCBS rules linked to the site somewhere.
Example. https://ohiobbq.org/

Tags
kcbs