Anyone here try this? Sous Vide Brisket

I'm going to order one of those sous vide flame thrower guns at Grillblazer.com and give it a try. I am not a fan of dried out brisket flats and this process seems to be an answer to that issue.

Been there, done that.

CVYeasz.jpg

T6nAOY5.jpg

B7ABGRu.jpg

Came across this video on the Sous Vide Everything you-tube channel. Has anyone tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMMT5xapmQo

Looks very interesting, but I would need a much bigger Cambro to fit a full packer brisket. I’m not sure my Anova SV would be able to maintain the temp of that much water and meat. Maybe 2 SV units?
I’ll let someone else go first

I've got a new circulator, vacuum machine and the LIPAVI C20 container just arrived a few days ago. I have a few SRF briskets in the freezer, but I'm not sure that's what I should use the first time. I'm dying to try this myself, possibly this weekend.

I'm thinking if you like bark, this is going to be a no-go. Assuming a brisket goes on at ~45 degrees or so, it really takes at least 100 degrees of temp rise to get the bark I want, maybe more depending on how crispy you like it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for sous vide here, how have they turned out from the guys that have tried it?

As I see it, wrapping a brisket is almost like a reverse-sous vide in a way...

I've seen the video before and wondered instead of wrapping after 160 internal on the offset what would happen if you let the meat cool down, bag and re-start the cooking sous vide to 205 interior.

I've seen the video before and wondered instead of wrapping after 160 internal on the offset what would happen if you let the meat cool down, bag and re-start the cooking sous vide to 205 interior.

Yeah interesting idea, I think the sous vide would have to be at the end. I don't know what kind of impact halting mid cook would have on the meat quality? This sounds like a really good experiment though. My guess is it would turn out similar to wrapping in foil.

I have used sous vide on corned flats and pastrami seasoned flats, 145* X 45 hours. Both were excellent. Give this article a read, pay more attention to the texture from the various SV temps. Be sure and read the comments, they have more valuable information in some cases.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08...de-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

PS if you have hard water, add some vinegar to your bath. This will keep your circulator from getting mineral build up.

It works much better if you smoke to where you would normally wrap (or just until you like the bark) and then sous vide for tenderness. It comes out decent doing it the sous vide first, but everyone who tried it when I cooked that way said it was just alright.

I've done it. No way no how is it close to a true offset salt/pepper/oak brisket done right.

I'm thinking if you like bark, this is going to be a no-go. Assuming a brisket goes on at ~45 degrees or so, it really takes at least 100 degrees of temp rise to get the bark I want, maybe more depending on how crispy you like it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for sous vide here, how have they turned out from the guys that have tried it?

As I see it, wrapping a brisket is almost like a reverse-sous vide in a way...
It’s amazing what a harbor freight flame thrower can do for bark.

When I sousvide bbq a packer , I season with salt and a nice coating of black ops. Throw it in the tank at 135* for around 60 to 72 hours. I will chill it in an ice bath then remove from the bag and dry it with paper towels and toss it in the fridge overnight. The next step is smoke it at whatever temp you want to get it back up to the sousvide temp of *135. I usually try to run my cooker at 200* to get more smoke then raise the temp to get a nice bark.

It's pretty much fool proof getting a perfect texture

SVed a flat after smoking for about 6 hrs if I am remembering correctly, separated the point and left it on the smoker, into the SV for close to 6 hrs at 204, pulled it out and into the fridge over night. Best flat from end to end I have ever made, hit it with sucklebusters 1836 rub.

Back