MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

Default From plugs to fires

Greetings -

I am looking to upgrade. I got my first "taste" of smoking via an electric masterbuilt smoker...which...for what it's worth set my tastebuds on "fire" with it's results. However, in the process of knowledge deepening I realize I need to take my journey of smoke to the next level. Please advise a humble, noob smoker on what the next level looks like. Thanks!
thaifighter06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
ksu1971

IMHO the next and last level looks like a 22.5" WSM or if your crafty a UDS. I am assuming you are talking about backyard BBQ for you and several friends and even a competition or two. If we are talking catering then it is out of my hands.
[/COLOR][/B]Maverick ET-732
ksu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
frankH

Default next step

Get a weber smokey mountain or build a UDS. You'll find lots of different opinions on which is better, but I have both, and you can't go wrong with either one. Both cook great with or without a water pan.

WSM: easy build, but costs $300 for the 22.5" one.
UDS: you need to build it yourself, but you can do it for under $100.
frankH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal, new smoker, noob