Moocow make it take it drum class

moocow

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Been thinking about doing this for a while, so here goes! BBQ class with a twist. Keep in mind this write up is writen to a bit of a lower level than your avarage Brethren.:pLet me know what you think. We have 2 people signed up allready and are looking to have class size around 6-8 people.

Have you ever wanted to cook some of the best BBQ you have ever had in you own back yard on your own smoker? Now you can, we will provide you with all of the parts, tools and help to build your very own ugly drum smoker. When the class is over it is all yours. The day will start with hands on information on what to look for when you select your meat. We will focus on Brisket, pork butts and ribs. You will learn the same techniques we use in competition to trim and prep your meat. You will learn about rubs, injections and sauce. We will show you how to fire up the drum and get the meat on and cooking. While the food is cooking we will build your drums and answer any questions you have. We will end the day by devouring the food you prepared earlier in the day with a cold beverage! This is not a competition class but you will be exposed to how competition BBQ tastes compared to the local BBQ joint. Once you learn to cook like this you won't want to go to BBQ restaurants anymore, you will just want to fire up your new drum and impress your friends and family. Don't be put off by cooking on a 55 gallon drum, there are many teams competing on drums at some of the biggest BBQ contests in the country.(And doing quite well.) We are shooting for a March or April class in Kansas City. The Cost will be $175 and includes your drum and all of the BBQ you can eat. You will also receive a goodie bag and some very valuable info. Please contact us with any questions and to sign up.

Last edited:
Where will this class be held? Also, will the class attendees be building a UDS like pictures on your home page? Will you be furnishing the barrell and dome lid?

Sorry about the location, it will be in Kansas City. It will be a flat top drum lid but upgrades to dome lids and things like thermometers and second racks could be upgrades.

Will the drums be pre-burned or will that have a lining in them that will have to be removed before cooking with them?

Kansas City, Mo ot Kansas City KS - I know that they are only separated by a river but the GPS likes to know when state it is directing me to..LOL

Belton, Mo. Just south of kansas city. The drums are clean with no food grade lining. All we will have to do is oil the insides and do a seasoning burn. They are black and the paint holds up well but you may want to sand it off and paint it your own color.

I think it's a great idea. I might suggest removing this line though...

This is not a competition class as there are others out there who are more qualified to do those types of classes but you will be exposed to how competition BBQ tastes compared to the local BBQ joint.

I think the same message gets across without it, and does not scare folks away. Just a suggestion, I could be wrong.

I'm tempted to sign up just so I finally make a drum!:laugh:

Sounds great!!! How are you gonna make any $$$. If I lived close I would be there. Cost seems low to me....all the eats "AND" a drum for $175. If you don't fill your class people just don't understand....

Good Luck....

Again, wish I was closer...

Paul B
SS UDS

Hey Shane, I'm interested in the class as long as I'm not competing the weekend you hold it. I've got one contest in March and three in April - can't wait.

I'd do it if I din't need to spend the night in KC...Just a little too far.

I'm tempted to sign up just so I finally make a drum!:laugh:
That is exactly what I was thinking!
Great concept Shane! Very unique. I am sure you will have no trouble filling the spots at that price. If I could afford the $175, then I would be all over it.:thumb:

Wow! Great idea at a really good price! KS is ~16 hours from here, expedia says it will cost around $500 for airfare, hotel, and car rental, then there's the shipping cost to get the barrel back home... Like Paul B said: "wish I lived closer". I'd be all over this!

Good Luck!

Papa

I just may have to do this. Put me down as a yes for now.

For your second class, I suggest doing the same thing for the disc cooker thingie.

I have a fleet of uds here but if I lived anywhere near you I would take this class. Great idea.:cool:

Sounds great!!! How are you gonna make any $$$. If I lived close I would be there. Cost seems low to me....all the eats "AND" a drum for $175. If you don't fill your class people just don't understand....

Good Luck....

Again, wish I was closer...

Paul B
SS UDS
It's not all about the money! :p Don't get me wrong we will make a little bit but it is more about getting to provide some people with a smoker who might not have a chance to have one otherwise. Several of the people who have signed up have no BBQ experience at all and I really look forward to teaching them how to experience what most of us on the Brethren experience daily. We are really looking to get people involved in BBQ and to make a little money for our BBQ team. After all, who doesn't like talking BBQ!

I think it kicks ass! The Make it - take it idea rocks. I hope you guys nail it out of the park.

Back