Post your 15-gallon Mini UDS build pron!

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Greetings farkers...

I want to build a mini UDS from a 15-gallon steel drum and would love to see your build photos.

Use the specs from the BDS site.

Mini 1427
The Mini 1427 is the smallest model, measuring 14.5" diameter by 27.5" tall. Comes with one cooking rack and has 6.50 inches clearance. Weighs 25 pounds. Made from 20 gauge cold rolled steel. Will fit 1 large pork butt, or 1 whole chicken, or 1 large brisket flat, or 1 large beef chuck roast, or 1 slab of ribs cut in half, and many other possible selections.

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

im lazy, and i dont wanna repost the whole thing so here's the thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100701 in fact im doin my first ( i hope ) SLEEPING overnighter!!, all of my previous cooks that have been long cooks didnt need any fire tending during the day when i cooked for 12+ hours, so im gonna put my trust in GROGG and hope not to wake up to have to figure something else out for lunch.!!!!

Not real sure what this drum was before, some kind of oil I think. We had several of them laying around the farm and a small portable grill I got helping a friend move. The video game nerd in me said paint it like Bullet Bill!

003.jpg

I'll be watching this thread. I'm looking to build one for camping trips and smaller cooks.

Let's wake this thread up!

Just finished. Smoking a pork butt tomorrow.

Pictures

Last edited:
No grates. The drum is set up for hanging only. Just one threaded rod bolted across the top. I've hung up to 6 full slabs of ribs.

P1060995_zpscec37175.jpg

My little guy. Love it for sausages. I just use magnets for intakes. Is got two racks and pizza pan difuser.

Last edited:
Greetings farkers...
I want to build a mini UDS from a 15-gallon steel drum and would love to see your build photos.

Why not save time and effort and get a 18 1/2 WSM and have it for life. I love my UDS, but after buying my Webber kettle, I will get a 22 1/2 WSM when my drum gets into dis repair. These things are bullet proof and have a 10 year burn out and rust out warranty. I am sold on them, and I am a cheap skate at heart. Any way just my take, but good luck when you get your mini built.

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

I love smoking bratwursts, one of these little guys could save me the trouble of firing up one of my big boys just for something small.

my Ducks smokers!

Just built these two. One's for a friend.
I stole ideas from the ones I liked best here. It's basically a mini UDS with PBC elements (hanging meat).
The Ducks logos are just transfer decals (like bumper stickers) stuck on stainless license plate blanks, which I mounted using 1" standoffs I made from 1/2" hollow stainless rod, and secured with finishing washers and 1/4 x 20 x 1-1/2" machine screws.
All hardware from Home Depot, stainless where possible.
Other details as follows.

Lid:
-added 3.5" rope hook to hang lid, and Hyco 2" temp gauge

Drum:
-16 gallon barrels, had gear lube in them before, burned them out, wire brushed, sanded
-5/8" rebar holes 0.75" from the top for hanging meat
-3 14" grates at 5", 10" and 15" from top, on 1/4 x 20 x 1/2" hex bolts (stainless)
-1.25" hole on side for WSM temp probe grommet just above second grate level
-3 1" holes for air intakes 2.5" from bottom, 3 3/4" pipe nipples, 2 with caps and 1 with 3/4" ball valve, and mine has a BBQ guru adapter for my Party-Q
-grates modded with U-bolts for to help pick them up
-Rustoleum Ultra gloss black BBQ paint
-2 18" pieces of rebar (I think I used 1/2") also painted black for hanging meat
-sheet magnets to cover rebar holes when using grates
-stainless hooks from IKEA, filed pointy
-wire drawer pulls for handles, and a bottle opener

Charcoal basket:
-expanded metal, 5" tall, tied to Smokey Joe charcoal grate with rebar wire (twisted with pliers)
-grate on 3" riser bolts for airflow
-bolts through a 10" deep dish pizza pan for catching ash
-handles are repurposed from old busted buckets

Mine sits on a 16 gallon drum dolly because I liked the look, but bricks and casters work fine.
Build cost came to almost $200 exactly. I like how they turned out but it definitely could be done cheaper, and a PBC is bigger and better made, and just as customizable if comfortable drilling through porcelain enameled steel.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 96
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7443.jpg
    IMG_7443.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 97
Back