MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

Default WSM Arrived and a free 22.5" Kettle! Tri-tip PRON

I couldn't be more excited, I just got my 18.5" WSM and am gonna do some butts on it this weekend! It does seem too small to do pork spares though...I would have to cut the ribs in half to fit them on the racks (is that a no no?) I usually do St. Louis Style anyway but have never cut the racks in half.....I also scored a free Weber 22.5" Kettle on CL that I am going to use for parts on my UDS.

Some chicken and tri tip over mesquite lump charcoal with mesquite wood chunks on the 22.5" Weber Master Touch Kettle that I cooked while building the WSM!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Dustin D
Full Fledged Farker

Is that.....a.....Gas Grill in the background.......
Dustin D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
Is that.....a.....Gas Grill in the background.......
It's my parents, I can't BBQ at my apartment so I have to keep all my BBQ's and do all my BBQing at my parents :( Such a pain in the ass. Trust me I don't even look at that gasser haha.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

You absolutely don't and, in my very humble opinion, should not cut your spares in half. You can fit a lot of meat in there with some creativity.

I haven't used it yet, but I just recently got a rack for ribs. It's something that Harry Soo does and results in more even cooking and color. I typically limit my rib cooks to 2 slabs per grid. I do find using the bottom grid for ribs to be an epic pain in the ass. I expect to be able to fit 6 slabs per grid with the new rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post
Trust me I don't even look at that gasser haha.
I love my gas grill and use it all the time. Nothing wrong with what you're cooking on as long as you're cooking.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats on the new WSM! That chicken and tri-tip looks divine!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats on the new WSM and can't beat a FREE kettle. Way to go!
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrates on the WSM

[QUOTE=OneHump;1541985]You absolutely don't and, in my very humble opinion, should not cut your spares in half. You can fit a lot of meat in there with some creativity.

Why shouldn't you cut your spares? I've done it on occasion, no problems here.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

what! you're gonna scrap that gorgeous kettle! wait to find a beat up one, just my .02$

Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
what! you're gonna scrap that gorgeous kettle! wait to find a beat up one, just my .02$
No no I am gonna use the black one behind the WSM for parts maybe, one of the leg supports broke off the bottom part so it needs to be re-welded (that's why it was free). The green master touch is staying in tact for sure.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Dustin D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Trust me I don't even look at that gasser haha.
Dustin D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats on the new toy!

Quote:
I would have to cut the ribs in half to fit them on the racks (is that a no no?) I usually do St. Louis Style anyway but have never cut the racks in half....
I don't have a WSM, but have seen guys roll the racks up and cook 'em that way. Don't necessarily think that cutting rib racks is a BAD thing, but I know what you mean about not wanting to do it. I used to have to do that with my ECB before I built the UDS. Try to roll them up and stand them on end and see if that works for you.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

I have easily fit three racks of UNTRIMMED spares ROLLED on just the top rack.

The photo sucked and I dropped the one rack that is "damaged" but they turned out great.

I would probably trim them next time though because it would give it a more stable foundation.

ALSO You can just scrunch up the rack of spares to make two fit while laying flat on the rack but rolling was really not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. IF you are going to sauce the ribs then you can stack them (lay one rack down then another then another) and rotate throughout the cook to help with even cooking, but the racks can turn an odd grey color. This will NOT be an issue if you sauce though

EDIT: That is NOT my barbeque sauce! My girlfriend's mom owns a catering company and uses that stuff(The party I cooked for was held at her house). I make my own sauce thank you
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i tried rib holders and such, didn't like it. now i just stack them offset a bit and just rotate them every 1/2 hour or so. come out just fine.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
codger
Full Fledged Farker

A good day for you! Enjoy your new cooker, looks like you do a fine job of cooking.
codger is offline   Reply With Quote