MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
dirtydingus
On the road to being a farker

Default Pellet cookers-Smoke flavor

Amongst all the pellet cookers on the market, is there one or more brands out there that give your food a better smoke flavor than the other? Maybe, they're all the same, I don't know. Help me decide.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I have noticed a better smoke flavor with Yoders than other pellet brands I have used. I haven't used all pellet cooker brands, but Yoders are designed to give more smoke flavor than other brands. Plus the are built here in the USA and built much heavier and solid than other brands.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

There are going to be some differences between some of the different brands...Not that it's good or bad...just different. All of the pellet grills rely on a duty cycle to burn the pellets. Traeger for example has a longer duty cycle which mean the pellets drop for a long period of time(about 15 seconds) and then there is a longer idle time where the pellets are not dropping (varies depending on setting). Some other brands like Yoder, Memphis, and Louisiana have shorter cycles (3-5 seconds or so) and have tighter idle times. I have noticed that the shorter duty cycles put out a little more even smoke where the longer cycles have more smoke and the beginning of the cycle and then lessen as time goes on before the next cycle.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't care what anybody says pellet cookers don't produce much smoke flavor at higher temps...any of them, lower temps is different.

I'd add on a smoke generator if you wanted more flavor and do cooks at say 275 and up.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
unixadm
Take a breath!

That's a good point and you're right. The hotter the fire or the more fuel that's required to maintain a pit temperature, the less smoldering you get which is where most of the smoke comes from. I have found that 250 and below for smoking on a pellet cooker to be the sweet spot. However even will cooking hotter than that, for example grilling - I've still noticed a nice subtle smokiness to pretty much anything I've cooked.

I'd give my nod to Yoder and Woodmaster. I've owned pellet cookers from both and they both produced a nice smoke ring with a great flavor.
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Agree with the comments above. Higher the temp the less smoker you get from what I have experienced.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

the mak 1 star smokes a lot. even at higher temps.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
DickQ
Knows what a fatty is.

The brand pellets you use make a big difference in flavor as well. I like BBQ'rs Delight

Custom built 6 rack rotisserie stick burner
Custom built pellet burn insulated vertical
Custom built charcoal gravity feed vertical
Backwoods Party
Weber 22" WSM
Weber kettle
BBQ Gurus
DickQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

heres my invention. i would make a smoker with two hoppers. one for hardwood fuel like oak to burn and bring the smoker up to temp, then at some degree of height above the fire pot i would have a smoke pot where flavor wood would be augered down into on a regular basis based on average smoldering time as per the temp of the pot. this would give regulated heat with consistant smoke at any temperature.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
veryolddog

Many folk subsidize the smoke in their pellet smokers with alternate devices such as a tube smoker from Amazing Smokers and place flavored pellets in there to enhance the flavor of the their food results. You may want to take a look at these devices and see if there is a fit.

Ed
veryolddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I'm happy with the smoke output on my Memphis Pro.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

Your brand choice in pellets affects the smoke flavor more than brand of grills I believe. The Yoder ideally has a better smoke flow through the smoker due to the firepit on the side rather than in the middle like most others. The Yoder seemed to be more of a pellet hog than my other pellet smokers too, and more pellets burned should mean more smoke flavor. Someone mentioned the temperature part, this is true, but since a pellet smoker has an induced air flow it cooks faster at a given temperature due to better heat transfer. The best temperature tends to vary a bit between smokers.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Charcoal_Addict

You always have to accept some trade-off. A pellet grill is user friendly substitute for an offset Grill. You're not going to get off-set quality from a pellet cooker but you will still get pretty impressive eats and more time to enjoy the game.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

My Klose pellet smoker puts off plenty of smoke regardless of the temperature I am cooking at. I use oak pellets that are approximately 12"x4"x4" each.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
My Klose pellet smoker puts off plenty of smoke regardless of the temperature I am cooking at. I use oak pellets that are approximately 12"x4"x4" each.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote