MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Scott_nra
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Results of first BBQ for a crowd

Well Farkers we did it! The 5 butts were in the cooler wrapped at 10:30pm last linght and we left at 5:45am. Once we got there we pulled 3 of 5 and wrapped them in a foil pan on the grill. Pulled temp was 130 at that time. Ran it up to 180 again on the grill and kept it hot there for about an hour and served.

We got loads of compliments and one chap that wanted to buy BBQ from us. (He thought we were some kind of caterer’s or something) It was a lower turn out for a counter day than we thought. So, 3 butts did it with sides. I’d say we had about 50 people fed and fed well. Sold some of our product too. (Not BBQ)

One fellow stopped by who owns a BBQ joint and a was a bit taken aback that the manager of the store had not hired him for the event until the manager explained we were the sales guys. I spoke to him, (Bill Blackburn) really nice guy from Pork Barrel BBQ (An award winner for their sauce in DC) Talked to him some and he said our Q was good. Hopefully he was not just being nice but you never know. Really nice guy though and I look forward to his new joint getting opened up in Alexandria. Bill, if you are out there, I’ll call you Thursday to see if you are opened yet. I want to bring another customer to your place for lunch.

Now I’m beat. I got the leftover butt in the oven reheating. Going to bring it back into the 160-170+ range for just a bit to be sure since it had quite a few hours below 140* (In a really clean cooler foiled and wrapped )then pull it and chill it for the family.

Thanks for all the advice and input.
Scott_nra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats on the successful event. Hey, Pork Barrel does a great job with their sauce.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Temp when out of the cooler was 130? Any idea how long it had been below 135?

Guessing is ok for home use, but at an event away from home there should be no guessing.

Also, the pork for your family...commercial rules are cut and dry on this (home use you can use your own judgement). Just remember that when feeding others (not your own family) once the temp falls into the danger zone for four hours you are not allowed to heat the food back up for use. Once the four hour mark is hit the food must be thrown away. What you did is for your family so it's ok...just don't become complacent with this method and think it's ok to do for the public...it's not.

It's fun cooking for a crowd isn't it? Good job.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_nra View Post
it had quite a few hours below 140* (In a really clean cooler foiled and wrapped )then pull it and chill it for the family.
It doesn't matter how you store or wrap it. If it is below 140* for more than four hours, it is bad. I wouldn't serve it to my neighbor's dog at that point.

Congrats on your success, but you have to get serious about time and temperature. Create a log, if you have trouble remembering. It will also help if the health dept comes calling.
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Temp when out of the cooler was 130? Any idea how long it had been below 135?

Guessing is ok for home use, but at an event away from home there should be no guessing.

Also, the pork for your family...commercial rules are cut and dry on this (home use you can use your own judgement). Just remember that when feeding others (not your own family) once the temp falls into the danger zone for four hours you are not allowed to heat the food back up for use. Once the four hour mark is hit the food must be thrown away. What you did is for your family so it's ok...just don't become complacent with this method and think it's ok to do for the public...it's not.

It's fun cooking for a crowd isn't it? Good job.
The way I read his post, the meat was well above 135 before it was pulled. 20-30 degree drop when pulling is common for me. And it's perfectly acceptable to then heat it back up to 180 again. Now if the whole butts were at 130 he would have been pushing it as he didn't know when they dropped below 135.

This applies to what he said about the pulled pork he sold only.

Last edited by Ford; 03-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: added last line
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_nra View Post
Now I’m beat. I got the leftover butt in the oven reheating. Going to bring it back into the 160-170+ range for just a bit to be sure since it had quite a few hours below 140* (In a really clean cooler foiled and wrapped )then pull it and chill it for the family.
Not a good idea - once it's below 135 for 4 hours it must be disposed of and under no conditions should it be reheated. There's enough bacteria growth that even reheating will not make it safe. The nasties may die but their bodies remain on/in the meat and they can make a person sick. Probably not life threatening but enough to make a friend of the porcelin god.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
The way I read his post, the meat was well above 135 before it was pulled. 20-30 degree drop when pulling is common for me. And it's perfectly acceptable to then heat it back up to 180 again. Now if the whole butts were at 130 he would have been pushing it as he didn't know when they dropped below 135.

This applies to what he said about the pulled pork he sold only.
You can definitely reheat it after it gets below 135...just not after 4 hours.
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Scott_nra
Knows what a fatty is.

I appreciate all that. The meat was may or may not have been below 140 but not far and not for long once we got there. I stuck the probe in the pp when it went onto the cooker for reaheating so it very likely was at 140 or greater before pulling. (Themal pen donations accepted) It could not be handled without meat gloves. As for the last two butts. I'll be honest and say that I have no idea what temps they were at when we got home and mine hit the oven again and went up to about 190* before pulling and chilling. I do know that I've already been in it and so far so good.

ps. Just talked to my partner in crime. He ate a big chunk of the other butt last night with his family. So far so good. Not discounting a thing any of you guys said and I appreciate it greatly. Definately would not make a habit of it and certainly would not allow that condition for serving others. (We didn't)

Yes, the event was a big ego booster for sure and lots of fun. I see why you pros get so much pleasure from it. Who knows when or even if I'll do it again.

Last edited by Scott_nra; 03-02-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Scott_nra is offline   Reply With Quote