A new KCBS CBJ in WI, now what?

Twelvegaugepump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just received my certification last night in a class taught by Mike Lake in Appleton, WI. It was awesome. He is a great instructor with a ton of BBQ experience. My question to the group is, have you judged in WI, the UP or western Minnesota? I would love to get signed up to judge some contests and was wondering if the brethren have had any experience in this area. Thanks!

I haven't judged in those areas, but you should look the the event listings at kcbs.us and starting sending e-mails for any competitions you are thinking about. Most judging list are probably full already.

My guess would be that since theres about 1000 judges in Wi now and only a handfull of contests ,your going to have a tough time getting in this year at a Wi contest . Come out and visit at the contests . I have out in to judge at a couple of other then Wi contests and I did the judges apps on the day they came out and have not gotten in . This has been the last year or two. I try to cook all the Wi contests that are sanctioned and one or two that arent.

Thanks. I will set my sights on next year and visit this year.

So what did you give the Chicken Leg's Last night?? I wondered if there were other brethren there.

Actually my Table Captain was a Brethren Member but I didn't get to introduce myself to him either..

To be honest the class was a bit of a disappointment to me but I did learn some stuff.. Just not really what I was looking for.

I am willing to bet that threre were 10 or more Brethren there. How many people were in the class this time ? Dont give up trying to get in to judge just know that there is a pile of judges out there for what we have for contests. I think that sometimes you can learn more and get samples to try from cooks if you walk around on friday and talk with them then come back saturday. I know when we started out that was what we did and we learned a bunch ..Also got to eat some pretty good Q.

I just got into one. Very excited. There were 54 judges so I am sure we had brethren there. Tossing around entering a completion this summer too.

Back