• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hot dogs for 40 - please help me make the best of it

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all - first off, I apologize that this is not Q-ology, but I could not think of a better place to bring my dilemma.

GF is throwing a party next week for 40 college students. Neither of us is particularly wealthy, so my customary Yes-Lord-Jesus 3/4-lb. RO Lump-grilled burgers from heaven are financially out of the question, much to my chagrin, as all the prep and grilling is a really enjoyable process as well a perfect excuse for an adult beverage or eighteen. Also, my old-skool New Braunfels which I recently inherited from a dear late friend is in pieces as I do the last of the wire brushing/sanding before washing and repainting, so my inaugural smoke of a butt or something similar isn't an option, much as I would delight to; besides, cooking for 40 on my very first smoke would basically guarantee failure with my luck!

So she suggested hot dogs; that does seem to be about the best idea I could come up with as well. Would you fine gents/ladies be willing to weigh in on how to make the best of this? I'm thinking tons of condiments/toppings, i.e. make it sort of an "event", not just a bunch of steamed Dollar General dogs and some French's mustard. My Weber OTG stands ready as always. A couple of questions for the hive:

1. What brand (hopefully available in the rolling green hills of Middle Tennessee) would represent a good compromise of quality and price, particularly when feeding 40 non-picky college students?

2. I'd love to go with larger than usual dogs for the novelty, etc. - would any of those fit the category of #1 as well?

3. On the few occasions that I've grilled dogs in the past, I've just floored the Weber to 500 degrees and put them on for 10 minutes or so - seemed hard to ruin. Any tips on fine hot dog results? Might this be an occasion where some wood chips would be handy, or would it just be a waste?

4. Anything else special to church the whole thing up a bit? I do like to grill the buns and would plan on that.

Thank you all so much for your feedback - I really wish I could be offering something more than dogs but I suspect you all may have some advice that will make this an above-average dog experience!!

I am not sure if you have a smoker but since I read about it on this site that's is the only way I cook them. They are terrific. If no access to a smoker then grilling will work just fine. Nothing wrong with a hotdog. We have been buying the store brand and they are pretty good.

What is your budget? I would go with the condiment bar theme. Fresh onions, jalapenos, relish, two types of mustard, sauerkraut, pickles and some tomatoes. Ketchup is optional, but I'm sure someone will ask for it if you don't have it.

As far as hotdogs, Nathan's or Hebrew National are some top brands. You may want to check around with the meat counter at your local store to see if they make custom brats.

Not sure if this is a help or not.
We low cook ours in the Weber, maybe 30 minutes with smoke, bring ours up to heat rather than blast them. Tease the Snag to heat
Keeps ours moist.
Your Snags may be way different than ours tho.

have you tried grass fed dogs? applegate farms makes some. they are slightly more expensive than regular hot dogs but nothing outrageous. you can find them at whole foods or some publix stores.

http://www.applegate.com/locator

select the great organic beef hot dog to find which stores carry them.

You can get tasty all beef hot dogs from Aldi for $2.50 a pound; that's $1 less per pound than Walmart. I personally can't stand hot dogs made with a mix of chicken, pork and beef. (Which are like $1 a pack). Might want to check Sprouts as well.. they often have sales on stuffed fresh sausages (in natural casings) for only $2.99/lb.

Costco has some awesome oversized hot dogs. Check them out if you have a membership.

Ambassador is the only name in real hotdogs up here. :-D

Our local butcher shop has a hotdog called a fiesta dog. They are roughly 1/4 lb dog stuffed with cheese and jalapeños. I grill them and top them with "coney" sauce and stewed onions.

Ball Park all beef & set up a Beer,onion & butter hot tub to hold them in

All beef on a smoker, they are slow cooked and have a great smoke ring color....taste fantastic!

Is linking ok on this site? If so, I will add the link, as I can't take credit for this one, but sure did turn out good for me. About the same story, had a bunch of my daughters friends over and did dogs on the smoker -- we skewered them long ways (like frozen bananas on a stick), then sprial cut them by holding a knife at and angle and rolling the hot dog on a cutting board. Sprinkled with rub, and put on the smoker for a while. Un-skewered and put in buns, they were amusing looking, and tasty!

From the Chicago area, usually do Viennas. If they arent available down there, Hebrew Nationals are good. Aldi carries a Chicago style dog that is pretty good & considerably cheaper. As for prep, Weber kettle will do just fine. I'd go a little lower on temp & give them a little smoke. Also agree with previous posts about condiment bar. Include all the fixins you can plus a big can or two of Hormel or Wolf chili. I also prefer poppy seed buns. Good luck.

assembly line work - actually goes pretty quickly! - one person skewering, one cutting, one running around opening packages, putting rub on the finished ones, getting cold beer for everyone, etc.

Back