MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Arrow 2010 Independence Day Weekend BBQ Brethren Throwdown

Independence Day is the national day of the United States of America, commemorating the adoption of the document that declared our independence from Great Britain. While the official date that the Continental Congress voted to separate themselves from Great Britain was July 2nd, the date that is celebrated is the date this historic document that was adopted, printed and first signed.

Fireworks and Barbecue are mainstays of American 4th of July celebrations. While the Brethren are international, and many do not observe this weekend or even know when it comes up, a great deal of the membership here knows it and recognizes it as one of, if not the biggest BBQ weekends celebrated in the American summer.

So, this American holiday weekend will be used to host a Special BBQ Brethren throwdown! Our category is...
"By the Book"

This idea was proposed by thirdeye, the winner of our Special 2010 Memorial Day Open Throwdown. The idea is to make a dish from or inspired by a recipe in one of your favorite cookbooks.

Also, as a Special Throwdown, the winner will receive a copy of Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces.

This book was donated to the Throwdown cause as a prize by our fellow brethren CarbonToe! He actually shipped this book to me, all the way across that great big pond, just so I could give it away as a prize. This seems even more appropriate somehow for us to have a gift from Great Britain! For that, I would like to thank CarbonToe!

These are the rules for the 2010 Independence Day Weekend BBQ Brethren Throwdown:

1. This is an open category, meaning any type of BBQ food will be accepted (see Rule 2).
2. The dish must be accompanied by a picture or mention of the book the recipe came from. If you made a variation to the recipe as stated in the book, details on the variation are appreciated. Please do not copy the original recipe on the Throwdown threads, as anyone should be able to find them in the book you used.
3. The item must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
4. Submitted dishes must be cooked between Friday 7/2 and Monday 7/5.
4. All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on 7/6 (an extra day is being allowed for those who will be out of town).
5. You can make multiple entries into this Throwdown if you like. Just like at a bash, I would not expect people to share only one dish, but any number of dishes they would like to share.
6. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
7. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
8. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
9. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
10. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
11. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
12. Since this is a virtual online bash, I expect everyone to have fun, but also remember there are kids around. Anyone caught not having fun will be asked to leave until they are fun again.

Best of luck, and good eats to everyone!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Wyobulldog
Knows what a fatty is.

Oh Say can you see by the dawns early light what so proudly we smoked as the twilight last gleaming....
Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

This should be fun! All my pictures will be blurry due to alcohol

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
JD McGee

Hmmm...interesting...it just so happens I plan to do some beef ribs from Adam Perry Lang's "BBQ 25" book...good timing.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Default Wings for the 4th

Decided to try a new wing recipe tonight. I rubbed the wings with our rub and put them on the UDS. Smoked them for 2 hrs and dressed them with a Chipotle BBQ sauce. The inspiration came from a recipe the Marlboro cook book I have had for 10 years page 37 appetizer menu. Only change I made was using our rub.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]

Last edited by Alan in Ga; 11-20-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Ga View Post
Decided to try a new wing recipe tonight. I rubbed the wings with our rub and put them on the UDS. Smoked them for 2 hrs and dressed them with a Chipotle BBQ sauce. The inspiration came from a recipe the Marlboro cook book I have had for 10 years page 37 appetizer menu. Only change I made was using our rub.
Newbie to the throwdowns here . . . so, does this constitute an entry?

This looks incredibly delicious to me! Thanks!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Alan, those wings look amazing! Nice and saucy!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Tonight's cook was inspired by a recipe that I found in The Ultimate Turkey Fryer Cookbook (Page 188 ), Cajun Prime Rib. This recipe called for injecting the Prime Rib with Cajun Injector Marinade Creole Garlic Injection. Of course, I didn't have any, but I remembered a recipe on Pellethead.com that used a garlic & Onion injection and marinade, so I went with that.

http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=2863.0

So I made up the injection/marinade per the recipe. It calls for 4-6 bulbs (not cloves) of garlic. That's a lot of garlic. I injected what I could into the roast and rubbed the rest on the outside and let it rest in a big zipper bag in the refrigerator overnight. I took it our today to come up to room temp as I started up the FEC-100.

Once the FEC was up to temp I put the roast in and cooked it at 250 until it hit 130 degrees internal (about 4 hours). then I dropped the FEC to 140 and held the roast for a couple of hours while I prepped the rest of the meal. Here is the roast in the FEC at the end of the cook time.

As mentioned yesterday, the meal included twice baked potatoes. I used the weber gasser for those...

Once the rest was ready I brought in the roast and sliced it for dinner...

(use this picture)

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
Newbie to the throwdowns here . . . so, does this constitute an entry?

This looks incredibly delicious to me! Thanks!
That would be an entry allright! Entries look great so far. Anything cooked from Friday through today that is based on a recipe from a book counts, and you have until midnight tomorrow to post your entries.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

This was a group effort. Part of the problem is that our cookbooks are several thousand miles away. We did find one at our friend's house that will do nicely.

There is not much grilled, so we did have to modify the recipe a bit in this respect. Also the mushrooms were a relative of chanterelles and we were all out of green onions.

Here's the result

(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Nice looking entries so far, but what is this thing called a "book"?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking dish Gore.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
deguerre

All great entries so far! Wonder if there will be any more before midnight?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
thirdeye

Well, the book part of the Throwdown is no problem..... .

I'm hoping to squeeze in a couple of photos later today. We were at a family reunion all weekend, and despite Mrs ~t~'s uncle having a six-burner gas grill, we had to haul this New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker out of the tall grass and up the hill to do some serious smoking. I haven't uploaded the rest of the reunion photos yet, and I have some from last nights meal too..... I hope some are keepers.

Look close, there are a couple of elk in the background of the bottom photo.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
SteadySmokin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Ga View Post
Smoked them for 2 hrs and dressed them with a Chipotle BBQ sauce.
So Alan was that the red tail sauce you got from the trade, if so howd you like it?
SteadySmokin is offline   Reply With Quote