Score my box

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Could use a little feedback on my boxes
:thumb:

http://app.onlinephotofiler.com/images/A_4/0/5/1/131504/8154550820de47edbc066c4681cc8959.Large.jpg
8154550820de47edbc066c4681cc8959.Large.jpg

565a20694a7141eaaa5496dab9d3cd49.Large.jpg

b4b9370397e74f8ab2831d9c46d1ded5.Large.jpg

(boy do I need to work on this KCBS presentation thing - especially brisket)

as a judge and cook none of those boxes make me hungry for sure!! Ribs look dry, brisket looks dry, burnt ends look burnt and the slices are raggedy. Chicken doesn't look 'done', skin soft and chewy, pcs are different sies

how did it all taste??

Will try and give you harsh, honest & brutal feedback and no scores since they were not asked for.

The chicken is not appetizing, looks under cooked and the skin looks like it would taste bad. Higher heat at the end of the cook to render off the fat in the skin, appears there is still a great deal in it.

Ribs simply look way over cooked almost to the point of being burnt.

Brisket does look dry and overcooked.

I'd give you 4s or 5s across the board. Those are some rough boxes but you have to start somewhere!

Chicken looks underdone and a bit like you fumbled them with your tongs pulling at the skins. remember to try and handle the chicken from the side or underside to keep from marring the top. Brush some sauce on them or something to get the color consistent. Trim them down a bit as well.

Ribs look charred and like you cut them with a sharpened spoon. Practicing cutting ribs after cooking. Consider an electric knife. Again, some sauce will go a long way to not making meat look dry as a bone.

You're brisket looks just like our first box! Burnt, dry, brown splotches on the meat, unevenly cut...hideous in short! Take heart, we took 3rd out of 50 last time...you can do it! If you aren't going to sauce it, spray it with some juice and a touch of oil after. Really pick where you want your turn in to come from and then first trim that area up and then cut the slices from it. Electric knife can help. If the burnt ends look...burnt, then don't turn them in, just put the best you have in the box. Our burnt ends got destroyed last time out, and again, we did pretty well, but knew to leave them OUT of the box.

Thanks all.

Appearance is what got me.

Chicken did go to high heat at end, but i was rushed. - I knew i bombed the chicken, even though it was done - I agree it did not look it, after seeing the pics

Ribs tasted great, had good tenderness, and believe it or not I did use an electric knife, and not my sharpened spoon :heh: (Ribs were 14th overall btw, the appearance scores were what kept me out of the running)

Brisket was best I ever made, was tender, but not fall apart tender, but I butchered it when i sliced it, and it does look dry (didn't taste all that dry though)
and burnt ends are not supposed to be burnt? who knew :shocked:

Oh well - more practice it is then :becky:

One more thing - i know it's hard to see under the meat, but what about the garnish?

You got some good advice.I would have scored 5's & 6's on appearence.Pretty much what the others said.It looked dry.CBJ #55047

From the pics, it looks like one rib is bone side up. When judging I judge I would wonder if that was a mistake, or if you are trying to hide something. If it isn't bone side up...well, it sure looks like it. Maybe use a different piece that is more like the others.

I was told 6's are good bottom line scores, no need to insult. They won't win with that low of a score any way.

Your garnish is ok. I would put more parsley in to make it "tighter". You don't want to have any sticking up/out. Watch the color of the parsley. Make sure any discolored parsley is under the meat and won't be seen if you have to use it.

I would have done 5's or 6's across the board because in the judging class I recently took it was suggested that a 6 is practically an elimination score, while anything below that is DEFINITELY an elimination score. So to get a 5 or lower, it should warrant filling out a comment card. I might fill out a comment card on those, or just give you a 6. I don't think they warrant lower than a 5.

I would have done 5's or 6's across the board because in the judging class I recently took it was suggested that a 6 is practically an elimination score, while anything below that is DEFINITELY an elimination score. So to get a 5 or lower, it should warrant filling out a comment card. I might fill out a comment card on those, or just give you a 6. I don't think they warrant lower than a 5.

Bigabyte, I'm glad they're talking about 6's and below being elimination
scores. It has to do with numerical variance. Yes, a 6 kills, but slowly,
5's or below is QUICK/INSTANT death.

Sir, probably 6's from me.

We were told that 6 was AVERAGE and that was stressed at the judging class I just took. We were presented with boxes that looked worse than those you present and many people scored 5 and lower. The instructor took feedback from people that scored 4 or lower. He also said if you score 4 or lower you should fill out a comment card. I don't want to hijack this thread with other comments about the class I took, so that being said I would say your stuff looks average to below average(brisket).

Thighs too big, looks under cooked, garnish sloppy job
Ribs try to hide the sides, too dark, garnish again sloppy
Brisket looks dry, try putting burnt ends in front to hide fat, garnish again
garnish make a bed of lettuce then fill w/parsley around edges about 1" wide all the way around this will lift your turn in meat up
look up be proud
Bill CBJ#53826

OK, here goes: The chicken is your best looking box (to me) out of the three. BUT the pieces are different sizes, the skin is torn and the color is uneven. I might give a 7 on appearance for chicky if it looked better in person. Try trimming the thighs down to get them the same size. If you can do this and still leave the skin whole and untorn you will have a better looking product. Or (blasphemy alert!) leave the skin off if it's not where you want it to be. YMMV

Chicken: 6
Skin looks too pale. A little more smoke or bbq sauce would help even out the color.

Ribs: 6
Looks like you burned after saucing. Move ribs closer together.

Brisket: 5
Slices look too dry and a little ragged. Burnt ends look burnt. (No, burnt ends shouldn't be burnt.)

Please do not take this personal.

I would score it a ten!!!!! The green stuff looks all green and stuff. I mean that's all the matters right.

I do agree with the statements about the meats. In the case of the brisket, the bark looks burnt, more black than umber.

Overall I would seriously re-consider your entire cooking practice of brisket if this is what you are turning in. I am wondering what your Rub is.... and judging from the smoke ring (yeah I know) I would wonder what your cooking temps and technique is like.

The GOOD thing is... that its not like most of the posts here, where the margins for improving the overall Q are small, 'tuck in some grass here, spread the glazed more over here, cut that flap of skin there" which end up getting tiny increments of points.

Whatever you are going to do to improve your overall appearance scores under the guidance of the things that are said is going to HIGHLY affect your taste, texture and appearance scores so what you do next you should see HUGE improvement in your scores BECAUSE your overall BBQ tastes better, feels better in their mouth and thus, looks better. IE the problem is more with your overall process than your appearance.

Back