Hi guys..new here and UDS question...

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Im the resident noob here, both on the forum and to smoking meat. I read on another forum and on here how good the UDS's are. I want to build one, but have no...read it again, NO welding experience. I also dont know anyone that can weld. Can this be done without welding? If so, can you point me in the direction for how to get it done?

Thanks...and this is an awesome site. I think I have found me a home.

I am a complete noob and have never welded at all and I built a uds today!

I used "black pipe bushings" found in the plumbing section and locked them in with conduit nuts found in the electrical section at lowes for my intakes. I put a ball valve on one and plugs in the other three ( I am not sure you need four intakes, the plans I was following had four, so ...).

I lit it @ 6 for a test run and it is holding steady @ 280 3" from the edge and 300 in the center of my top grate. I think my lid doesn't fit good enough. I am going to hammer the edge tommorow to see if I can get the temp lower.

It's really easy to do, it took me longer to get the parts than it took to build it.

I am so glad I finally got approved to post, the wait was torture.

One of the great things about this site is that the people that run it are still very involved in things like the KCBS and comps, so sometimes the powers that be are off at meetings or comps. Glad to have you guys aboard and posting. I have seen quite a few builds with no welding. Kcinnick, how did you handle your basket for charcoal?

I got a 24"x24" piece of expanded steel from ace. I cut it into 3 8x24" strips with my Bosch jigsaw. I used ss washers and bolts to make about a 15" circle with two of the strips. I then attached it to a weber charcoal grate with wire. I am going to make the 3rd piece into an insert ring, but I ran out of washers.

The best thing I did was get a brand new barrel without lining or rust inhibiter. That slight dusty rust color was a beatiful sight, even though it wasn't cheap. ($50)

Read the UDS thread. All your questions will be answered within the first 10 pages or so. Its the "how to" bible

I got a 24"x24" piece of expanded steel from ace. I cut it into 3 8x24" strips with my Bosch jigsaw. I used ss washers and bolts to make about a 15" circle with two of the strips. I then attached it to a weber charcoal grate with wire. I am going to make the 3rd piece into an insert ring, but I ran out of washers.

The best thing I did was get a brand new barrel without lining or rust inhibiter. That slight dusty rust color was a beatiful sight, even though it wasn't cheap. ($50)

That will work just fine bro!

My 100% weld free UDS. I have since built two more.

drumdone1.jpg

img_6549.jpg

That's pretty much how I made my charcoal basket too: but I made the sheets fit just around the weber charcoal grate. Diameter is 17.5" and if you fit the ss bolts just right (2" from the top or bottom), they hold the charcoal grate in at 2" from the bottom and you don't need legs. It yields an effective coal basket of 6"h x 17.5"w.

4282236094_564d753976.jpg

Last edited:
That's how I make 'em- I put the bottom grate 2-1/2" up from the bottom of the expanded steel.

What kinds of mods did y'all make to the barrel itself? (I've been working my way through the big UDS thread for a few days.)

I know there are many thoughts on grate levels, but is there ageneral consensus on where the grates should be? The charcoal basket is ~8" high. The bottom grate of the basket is 5" from the bottom of the drum.

If there are 2 levels in a UDS, and the first level is 7" from the top, what is a good level for the 2nd grate? I would like to not have to switch grates around during the cook.

Finally finished the charcoal basket. Holes get drilled tomorrow!

This thread should really be in the main UDS thread, that's what it's for....

I know there are many thoughts on grate levels, but is there ageneral consensus on where the grates should be? The charcoal basket is ~8" high. The bottom grate of the basket is 5" from the bottom of the drum.

If there are 2 levels in a UDS, and the first level is 7" from the top, what is a good level for the 2nd grate? I would like to not have to switch grates around during the cook.

How tall is your drum? There are apparently two main sizes of 55 gallon drums. Key figure is 24" between the bottom of your charcoal basket and the first grate.

This may depend on the size of your charcoal basket though: if it's as big as mine is (17.5" diameter), you may be able to have your cooking grate a little closer to the coal grate if your coals aren't stacked quite so deep.

That said, my basket holds about 10 pounds of hardwood lump charcoal. Doesn't mean it should always be full, but whatever. :)

As far as mods go... some people have insane mods, my drum is really simple: lid has eight, 1/2" holes and there are three 1" holes about 2" from the bottom for intake. I don't even have intake valves, just wads of tinfoil... works pretty well so far.

I put my grates at 2" from the top, and 8" from the top. With a dome lid such as a Weber, you can fit a turkey on the top grate. My bottom grate is 23-1/2" from my charcoal grate- Oh no! I broke the rules! Mine seems to work fine.

Most builds have the basket 2" or so off the bottom. By significantly cutting the 24" rule you don't allow proper convection to occur and delicate groceries like babybacks will get too crispy on the bottom. Watch the threads where guys are flipping the food or foiling early or putting in difusers and you will probably see a reduced distance between the rack and the basket. All our builds are going with a single intake and single exhaust- clean, simple, easy and works.
We also found that the ashpans are a waste of time and ofen have a condensation buildup under them causing rust. Better off without it.

Thanks for the suggestions brothers.

I think I will try 2-3" from the top of the drum for my first grate (I have a dome lid) and then consider adding a second one. My charcoal basket may be a tad high right now - ash pan has 1" legs and a 2" rim. I set the charcoal basket on the ash pan so that the grate would clear the rim by 2" for good air circulation. The ash pan is not bolted to the basket so they can be used separately if needed. I just figured an ash pan would be tidier than tipping the drum over every time I wanted to clean it.

OK... I'm getting really close. One last trip to the hardware store. Need to torch the outside of the drum, hit it with a wire wheel, wash it out, and get the cooking grate in. Will consider painting it later.

Do I even need to torch the outside of the drum? It was a reconditioned one without a liner.

The inside is for the cook, the outside is for the designer guys. Use lump and empty it every 3 or 4 large bags. The ash soaks up any fat that misses the coals. You don't cook in the bottom of your barrel so its not necessary to be anal about it. Keep your grills clean and wipe your lid occasionally. One 2" intake hole with a sheet magnet cover is the easiest and most trouble free build. Anybody that puts nipples on their barrel has issues. Well, maybe not. But that's what I'd tell them.

OK... I'm getting really close. One last trip to the hardware store. Need to torch the outside of the drum, hit it with a wire wheel, wash it out, and get the cooking grate in. Will consider painting it later.

Do I even need to torch the outside of the drum? It was a reconditioned one without a liner.

Caliking, if you're not going to paint it now, why bother doing anything else with the exterior? If you torch and wire wheel the outside, it'll just rust more. I'd say wait on the exterior surface prep until you're going to paint it... preferably the same day. These things put a whole new meaning on the phrase flash rust. :shock:

Back