MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #61
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
Sean,

You are correct. The rep would be contacted and reminded this is not proper. It is not for the board to take action on it. Reps need to act responsibly and most do. It is not necessary for many un-needed advisories. And yes I am defending my vote for that reason.
I'll have to admit...I was REAL surprised to see that you and Don voted a different way from the other three.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #62
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I may be wrong, but I didn't interpret Merl's post the way you did.. To me, It seems you both are actually in agreement as Merl appeared to just be stating that the current decision would technically allow it (although not make it right or not what he agrees with).
No, What I'm not agreeing with is Merl insinuating that reps follow the cook's entries. That was not a very good statement on his part. That's what made me angry as a rep. Most reps respect the entries as they are turned in and to even suggest that we FOLLOW an entry is insulting to our duties. I would hope that cookers understand that reps don't do that. What Merl said instigated that. Like I said, "Bad form" for KCBS representation.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #63
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Linda, how do Rep advisories get posted if it doesn't come from the board?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #64
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
No, What I'm not agreeing with is Merl insinuating that reps follow the cook's entries. That was not a very good statement on his part. That's what made me angry as a rep. Most reps respect the entries as they are turned in and to even suggest that we FOLLOW an entry is insulting to our duties. I would hope that cookers understand that reps don't do that. What Merl said instigated that. Like I said, "Bad form" for KCBS representation.
Bunny come on now. I did not insinuate or say any of the above. I don't think anyone else was "angry". Lets discuss the issue and not try to make it about Merl.
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #65
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Lets start by saying reps are human and they do make mistakes, either on the PC, saying something on the internet and or in person to someone. We all make mistakes, right Bunny????

What has to happen here is we all come together as a team of reps, BOD, judges and cooks. That is what makes KCBS ....................

Arlie

Organizing BBQ Contests Coast to Coast

www.arliequeevents.com
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #66
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Bunny come on now. I did not insinuate or say any of the above. I don't think anyone else was "angry". Lets discuss the issue and not try to make it about Merl.
Merl
I wasn't making it about Merl, Merl. I was standing up for reps. And you insinuated it when you said that the cookng schools will have to charge less knowing that reps can give info about the entries. Anyway, that's the way I read it. If I'm wrong, then fine. But that's the way I read it and I'm sure others did, too.

Why was it funny when HoDeDO said he wanted you to wear a spy cam? I know that we have fun on the forum, but this wasn't funny to me. It made us feel that we do something that we don't. That's all.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #67
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I wasn't making it about Merl, Merl. I was standing up for reps. And you insinuated it when you said that the cookng schools will have to charge less knowing that reps can give info about the entries. Anyway, that's the way I read it. If I'm wrong, then fine. But that's the way I read it and I'm sure others did, too.

Why was it funny when HoDeDO said he wanted you to wear a spy cam? I know that we have fun on the forum, but this wasn't funny to me. It made us feel that we do something that we don't. That's all.
Excuse me, HODEDO, I meant Plowboy's comment.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #68
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Bunny,

I took Merl's post as completely tongue in cheek, I think Todd did too...

He probably should not have commented given recent history, but I can't imagine that anyone took that post seriously...

Regards--Jeff
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #69
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Linda, how do Rep advisories get posted if it doesn't come from the board?
Jeff,

Rep Advisories have to come from the Board and is sent to the Rep Site where all reps are notified.

Bunny
Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #70
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I could be wrong, but I really think that there are a number of topics floating in this tread.

First of all the fact that a Rep used poor judgment in announcing the contents of the winning “AB’ category. Being a relatively new competition cook, 2 years and still learning, I’ve got to believe that Ray is right. My feeling is that the Reps are the all important ‘Referee’. They are the ones making the tough judgment calls on the legality of a box. They are the unsung heroes that sit behind screens (ok, they do come out into the sunlight every now and then) and make sure that it is a level playing field for us cooks. They should not be the announcers of the awards. That is for the organizers, the Reps are the officials.

Next we have the question if the BOD should have even spent time listening to the issue, and if that answer is yes, if there needs to be an advisory sent out to all reps regarding the issue. To be honest, I’m surprised that there is not a committee headed up by a BOD member to deal with issues like this. I’m not saying that this committee should be all powerful but rather it should deal with the more mundane issues and bring to the BOD items of more substance. As for whether an advisory needed to be sent out, no, I don’t feel that we need anything that serious. Just a reminder of what a Reps job is (please see item one).

Next, we have the issue of photography in the judging tent. While I would love to get a complete set of photos of each winning box ever turned in (I’m just kidding, really, well kinda). I would also be really pissed if I had a presentation that was doing well and now everyone else now had a photo of it. I would also not be happy if pron of my boxes showed up on the KCBS site or in a news paper without my permission. I guess my feeling is that there should be NO photography in the judging tent, none at all. If the media want photos of turn-in boxes they should approach a team directly.

Finally, we have the question on whether or not the Reps should be reviewed, re-trained, and/or removed, basically, HR for Reps. To be honest, I don’t know what is being done now. My gut say’s yes, they should be reviewed again by the committee described above but where it goes from there, I really don’t know.

If I’m way out of line or misunderstood the issues, I’ll apologize now.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #71
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I would also be really pissed if I had a presentation that was doing well and now everyone else now had a photo of it. I would also not be happy if pron of my boxes showed up on the KCBS site or in a news paper without my permission. I guess my feeling is that there should be NO photography in the judging tent, none at all. If the media want photos of turn-in boxes they should approach a team directly.
I understand your sentiments here, but the fact is that KCBS rules explicitly permit photography by the press in the judging tent, and you probably have given permission for said pictures to be published. Every contest application I've ever filled out has a clause that states you are giving permission to organizers to use any and all images they collect at the event for promotional purposes.

Now the usage by KCBS of such photos is a gray area, and I would hope that the folks in charge of publications would be sensitive to the wishes of any teams involved.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #72
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

This year we were blessed to receive 2 - 180s on both occasions we were asked to tell what we had made (by the organizers and NOT the reps) at the awards ceremony. Once was for an AB and the other Dessert. I always give vague answers because I don't want to give out what we do. At one of the comps a picture was taken of me and the 180 entry. It was posted and subsequently I had a conversation with the organizer to take it down. He understood my concerns. He took it down. Thats all it took was a conversation.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #73
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Q View Post
This year we were blessed to receive 2 - 180s on both occasions we were asked to tell what we had made (by the organizers and NOT the reps) at the awards ceremony. Once was for an AB and the other Dessert. I always give vague answers because I don't want to give out what we do. At one of the comps a picture was taken of me and the 180 entry. It was posted and subsequently I had a conversation with the organizer to take it down. He understood my concerns. He took it down. Thats all it took was a conversation.

Diva, we all know what it is anyways .
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #74
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I personally dont care if it's announced what is turned in for a AB category. As has been said before, if a "Chocolate Cheesecake" is announced, there are probably many recipes for chocolate cheesecakes. At one competition this year, when the they announced the awards in AB, most said what they turned in. When the winner wouldn't say what was turned in, I actually heard some "BOOS" from the crowd. That was a big surprise to me. I guess I'm on the side of it should be the organizer asking or announcing, not the rep.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote