MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I agree. I have a picture of all the Butt to Butt entries for this year taken from inside the tent during judging. It was published. Definitely some interesting things to be seen in that pic. I can, obviously pick out my entry, but I can also pick out another team as the only one not using parsley. Not an official KCBS event, but...

We kind of have two topics going here with the photos and the descriptions of the ancillary. They sort of go together under one main topic, but sorry Jeff if we've hyjacked your original topic.
No problem, Todd... this is fine. I'm taking notice of all the opinions on this. You might think "it's just an ancillary category" but my inital thought was like Scottie said... "where does it stop?"
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

It's an ancillary category. That's what the topic refers to. It doesn't count, who REALLY cares? It's not like they gave out the recipe or anything. As if judges don't go around and talk in depth, about the fabulous desserts that were at their table?

Jack Daniels, prime example. I don't know why they wouldn't let Ray take any pictures. They have bleachers set up for people to watch the judging of ALL categories. Don't you think there were some telephoto lenses hooked to some of those cameras?

Don't we have bigger fish to fry???
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I asked if I could take pics of the anything but while judging the Jack and was told no.

I don't think the rep should ever grandstand like that even if there's a release. The rep is the "Referee" and should never compromise the system by talking about an entry that should be considered blind. The organizer can do whatever he wants but the rep should be above that.

Well said, Ray.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I agree. I have a picture of all the Butt to Butt entries for this year taken from inside the tent during judging. It was published. Definitely some interesting things to be seen in that pic. I can, obviously pick out my entry, but I can also pick out another team as the only one not using parsley. Not an official KCBS event, but...

We kind of have two topics going here with the photos and the descriptions of the ancillary. They sort of go together under one main topic, but sorry Jeff if we've hyjacked your original topic.
Where can I find the butt-to-butt and Felda pics?
ique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #20
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Where can I find the butt-to-butt and Felda pics?

I still have your Jack chicken picture... It's on my office wall, next to the Felda and Butt-to-butt pictures....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I still have your Jack chicken picture... It's on my office wall, next to the Felda and Butt-to-butt pictures....
Our 1st Place Chefs Choice at the Jack from a couple years ago runs in the picture rotation on the KCBS site... I dont remember anyone asking my permission!
ique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
It's an ancillary category. That's what the topic refers to. It doesn't count, who REALLY cares? It's not like they gave out the recipe or anything. As if judges don't go around and talk in depth, about the fabulous desserts that were at their table?

Jack Daniels, prime example. I don't know why they wouldn't let Ray take any pictures. They have bleachers set up for people to watch the judging of ALL categories. Don't you think there were some telephoto lenses hooked to some of those cameras?

Don't we have bigger fish to fry???
Well, I was planning to do fried fish for my next AB entry. Thanks for blowing that for me.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Well, I was planning to do fried fish for my next AB entry. Thanks for blowing that for me.
I think you should practice at home first and have your friends come over to help you tweak anything that needs to be tweaked....
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #24
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Our 1st Place Chefs Choice at the Jack from a couple years ago runs in the picture rotation on the KCBS site... I dont remember anyone asking my permission!

Thanks for that info! I forgot that I also have the one that ISS!!! did from 2 years ago...

Man, I should start a book... Make a ton of money and you guys get stiffed... That's how we roll.....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #25
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I don't know why they wouldn't let Ray take any pictures. They have bleachers set up for people to watch the judging of ALL categories. Don't you think there were some telephoto lenses hooked to some of those cameras?
I'm pretty sure that many of the other judges took pics of everything without asking and it wasn't mentioned in the judges meeting. It just seemed right to ask. My TC asked the rep for me and he said no. The rep and I aren't very close so that might have had something to do with it.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #26
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I'm pretty sure that many of the other judges took pics of everything without asking and it wasn't mentioned in the judges meeting. It just seemed right to ask. My TC asked the rep for me and he said no. The rep and I aren't very close so that might have had something to do with it.
Michael still loves you, so you have one friend at least.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #27
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Michael still loves you, so you have one friend at least.
That's the only friend I need!
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #28
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Jeff, I'm following along with you and Ray that this is probably not really the rep's place to be announcing what was turned in. My question is, wouldn't that be the type of thing that should be handled in committee? I don't know what the procedures for issuing a rep advisory is, but I would think that as committee chair, Carol should be able to forward a note to reps to remind them of what their duties are and are not.

I think that telling the crowd what was turned in doesn't hurt anyone anymore than advertising your sponsors products. I can see how organizers would want to tell people what it was that won their contest. I don't think its the reps place to tell the public, but I could see how KCBS might want that information in a post comp report from the rep.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #29
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
In this particular case, a world class cook cared. He was pretty pissed.

I saw the dish go on the cooker, I saw it turned in. I could not reproduce it if you asked me to. The cook is a friend of mine, and he would not tell me(which was totally cool with me). I could not have told you what it was until the rep announced it.

I clearly don't care, I always share my dessert or anything butt leftovers with my friends.

At this comp the rep was announcing the awards, but whether it's the rep or an organizer, asking the cook would seem to be better form. That's what they did at ABA last week, that's what they do at Emporia and Laurie.

Respecting the wishes of the cook seems like a good idea.
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #30
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I do not think that as a Rep I should have the privilege of describing your turn in box in the four meat categories or any other to a judge, another cook or anyone. Now I am at liberty to take notes of a cooks and without any recourse tell or publish what a cook does. I think it should be proprietary to the cook. Let the cook share if he desires. This allows a KCBS contest rep to be in charge. I guess the price of cooking classes may go down, just ask the rep about a specific cook's turn in's.

But the Board said is ok. That is the rule of the Board. And therefore I will support what the board said.

I hope that Brethren will finally pay attention to who is looking out for the cooks and who does not.

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote