MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Mokin Bandit
On the road to being a farker

Default Turkey and ham for 300 people

So I am going to be working on smoking turkey and ham for about 300 people, half and half. I have never cooked this much for so many people. Can anyone help me with how much I need of each?
Mokin Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
icemncmth

When I do a large cook I always try for 1/4 lb of each meat cooked. Some will take more some less. Now having said that ...it also depends on your sides. The more sides you have the closer to the 1/4 lb total. If you have only a couple of sides people will eat more meat.

If you are only having one side I would look at 1/2 lb per person ...per meat. This sounds like a lot but grab some meat that you have cooked and put your portion on a plate and weigh it!

Just think of a plate, add some sides a roll, then meat and you can see that if you put more in front of people most will "sample" each vs loading a plate full of ham and turkey.

Now for a better trick use smaller plates!..
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
gvjt180
Got rid of the matchlight.

300 People sounds like allot of food. Wish you luck with that!
gvjt180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Mokin Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjt180 View Post
300 People sounds like allot of food. Wish you luck with that!
Yeah and I am doing if for free for a family member. Wasn't given much of a choice, my wifes sister. I'm stressing hard cause well if you look at the sig I got 2 webers and the big tank is retired. Yeah I'm looking at cooking in waves and reheating.
Mokin Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
drbowden
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemncmth View Post
When I do a large cook I always try for 1/4 lb of each meat cooked. Some will take more some less. Now having said that ...it also depends on your sides. The more sides you have the closer to the 1/4 lb total. If you have only a couple of sides people will eat more meat.

If you are only having one side I would look at 1/2 lb per person ...per meat. This sounds like a lot but grab some meat that you have cooked and put your portion on a plate and weigh it!

Just think of a plate, add some sides a roll, then meat and you can see that if you put more in front of people most will "sample" each vs loading a plate full of ham and turkey.

Now for a better trick use smaller plates!..
+1 - fits my experience completely!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think you bit off more than you can chew...
Just sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokin Bandit View Post
Yeah and I am doing if for free for a family member. Wasn't given much of a choice, my wifes sister. I'm stressing hard cause well if you look at the sig I got 2 webers and the big tank is retired. Yeah I'm looking at cooking in waves and reheating.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Might be time to build a couple uds...
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Build 10 UDS fill with meat. When done flip them over and the use the bottom to serve off of! either way good luck.
BlkJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkJeep View Post
Build 10 UDS fill with meat. When done flip them over and the use the bottom to serve off of! either way good luck.
A most excellent idea . Or see if there's a Brethren in your area who would rent / loan a larger smoker to you. With the price of vacu-suck bags (not to mention the hassle) you might come out cheaper building 2 or 3 UDSs.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Typically

woah that's a lot of food on not a lot of grill space. sounds like a great excuse to build a few UDS's though!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
PIT BOSS

Best of luck to ya Bandit
Sinse your wife volunteered you, I think she should buck up for a new pit
PIT BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote