MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Default BoD meeting at banquet

I see from the Bullsheet that the Board of Directors meeting has been scheduled for early morning and members will be required to request in writing to be able to attend.

Last year the Board meeting was scheduled so that members flying in would have a chance to attend, and no such request was needed. I for one found it very educational to see our Board in action, Live.

Why the change for the Philly banquet?
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

The schedule was set by the KCBS office. The BOD did not have a say in the time. I have asked if it could be latter, requested a change of time, and told it could not be moved. I have a personal conflict with the time. I think the BOD meeting should be a time when members could attend. And I would like to know who told you, you had to register to attend. Meetings are open to all members. You only have to register to listen by phone or to speak. Please contact the BOD if you desire a time change.
Speaking only for myself.
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Nobody told me, I was going by the information printed at the top of page 6 in the October Bullsheet.

I'm not happy with the time for the meeting either - it means members who don't live in the Philly area like me would have to fly in on Thursday and incur the expense of another hotel night in order to attend.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Is that the rules meeting?

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Is that the rules meeting?
No the rules meeting is scheduled for 2-4 PM on Friday.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
The schedule was set by the KCBS office. The BOD did not have a say in the time. I have asked if it could be latter, requested a change of time, and told it could not be moved. I have a personal conflict with the time. I think the BOD meeting should be a time when members could attend. And I would like to know who told you, you had to register to attend. Meetings are open to all members. You only have to register to listen by phone or to speak. Please contact the BOD if you desire a time change.
Speaking only for myself.
Merl
Why is the KCBS office dictating the time of a BOD meeting? Aren't meeting times decided by the board. Looks like more BS in KCBS if the office is now telling the board when and where to meet.
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

It may just be a scheduling conflict with the convention center. It may be this is the only time that they could get. I think the office probably takes care of the reservations which would entail scheduling conference rooms for necessary meetings.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's true, Skip. This kinda falls into the day-to-day operations which is the responsibility of the office and not the board. As we all know, there's too much micro-managing going on with the board that needs to be avoided and re-focused on the important things. Scheduling a conference room at a hotel in Philly is NOT what I want to see the board concern themselves with.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
That's true, Skip. This kinda falls into the day-to-day operations which is the responsibility of the office and not the board. As we all know, there's too much micro-managing going on with the board that needs to be avoided and re-focused on the important things. Scheduling a conference room at a hotel in Philly is NOT what I want to see the board concern themselves with.
Jeff, with all respect, I have to disagree with you. You seem to make these issues too simple and you seem to be dismissing the interest of our membership. Making the BOD available to the membership is a job of the Board. I never want to hear that any member of the board is not responsive to membership issues. I expect an announcement from KCBS, that as a result of these post there will be a new time posted for the Annual BOD meeting in Philly, which will serve the issues raised by the other members of this forum.
But that is just my opinion.
Merl
PS now all of you who have complained better show up for the meeting!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Jeff, with all respect, I have to disagree with you. You seem to make these issues too simple and you seem to be dismissing the interest of our membership. Making the BOD available to the membership is a job of the Board. I never want to hear that any member of the board is not responsive to membership issues. I expect an announcement from KCBS, that as a result of these post there will be a new time posted for the Annual BOD meeting in Philly, which will serve the issues raised by the other members of this forum.
But that is just my opinion.
Merl
PS now all of you who have complained better show up for the meeting!
It IS a simple issue, Merl. That's why there is office staff to schedule meeting rooms. We didn't elect you to do that. We elected you to promote BBQ and lead the oganization into the future by doing things like improving rules where needed, establishing scholarships, replacing scoring software, finding ways to help young barbeque kids remain interested in the sport, etc. Tell me how I'm dismissing the interest of our membership by making my comment above that the board shouldn't be making phone calls to reserve meeting rooms. That just doesn't make much sense.
KCBS Member #14287
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Jeff,
I guess we just have to disagree as does the BOD. When the BOD realized the sentiment expressed on this thread, the entire board agreed we need to ask the office to change the schedule to meet the needs of the members. We saw a simple solution to the schedule and have ask the office to implement the change. No micromanagement, but an appropriate response to an issue the membership expressed. I expect that a change will be soon announced when the arrangements by the office have been concluded.
Merl
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
It IS a simple issue, Merl. That's why there is office staff to schedule meeting rooms. We didn't elect you to do that. We elected you to promote BBQ and lead the oganization into the future by doing things like improving rules where needed, establishing scholarships, replacing scoring software, finding ways to help young barbeque kids remain interested in the sport, etc. Tell me how I'm dismissing the interest of our membership by making my comment above that the board shouldn't be making phone calls to reserve meeting rooms. That just doesn't make much sense.
I agree that the board should not have to be involved in reserving meeting rooms and mundane tasks like that, but they should have input on the time and day a meeting is scheduled with input on their individual availability; especially when it is a time drastically different from the usual meeting time. When you are supposed to be a part of a meeting is it just scheduled for you or are you consulted as to your availability if your attendance is required?
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Actually it all seems like it has gone the way it should doesn't it?

The office made the reservations as we would hope. This frees up the BOD members to do those things they were elected to do. For instance, the dismay expressed by membership was brought to this board and recognized by one, or more, of the BOD who then went about trying to address the concerns of the membership and have the meeting changed to a time where more could participate. In my mind I think it went as it should.

I think were are all caught in a misunderstanding. Yes it is the duty of the BOD to make itself available to the membership but it should not be them who must do the incidentals. Making reservations is why you have an office staff. It is nice, however, that the BOD recognized an issue that the office would not see.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

What I find kinda strange is that there are 14 posts about this (including mine) and in all actuality, only one person "complained" (by asking why the change in time) about the time of the meeting.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Jeff,
I guess we just have to disagree as does the BOD. When the BOD realized the sentiment expressed on this thread, the entire board agreed we need to ask the office to change the schedule to meet the needs of the members. We saw a simple solution to the schedule and have ask the office to implement the change. No micromanagement, but an appropriate response to an issue the membership expressed. I expect that a change will be soon announced when the arrangements by the office have been concluded.
Merl
Merl, you missed my point totally. The discussion was that the Board is making the phone calls to schedule the room. That's what I'm talking about, not the fact that the Board asks the KCBS office to make the call to attempt to find a time the room is available. You originally stated that the schedule was set by the office and the BOD did not have a say. Granted, they should have run the time past all board members to make sure they were available but they need to be the ones making the arrangements with the hotel is all I'm saying. I'm all for the change of time, as are a few members. I would love for it to be at a time after my flight arrives from KC so that I could attend as well.
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 10-29-2009 at 12:23 PM..