ProQ Cold Smoke Generator

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ian Mckend of ProQ recently sent me his new cold smoke generator to try out. It's a great product and should make smoking meats, fish and cheese easy for even a novice.

There are a variety of smoke generation products on the market today. But I don’t think there is one that can beat the “ProQ Cold Smoke Generator.” For pure simplicity and ease of use it would be almost impossible to beat Ian’s new product. I’m going to have to order some more wood dust to try this out again. When I smoked my recent bacon experiment it would have been so much easier to have used this to generate the smoke. I’m no where near an expert in cold smoking but as far as I can tell Ian has come up with another winning product.

Cold-Smoke1.jpg

Additional Pictures and more details here...

(Sorry the new gallery formating on my blog doesn't work well with cutting a pasting)

That looks really interesting. How fine is the wood dust, is it powder, saw dust or chips?

I played with one a little over a month ago and thought it was a great idea. When I get more into cold smoking I'll have one. :cool:

pretty slick idea.

i bet you could pulverize some pellets to fill that device up. and i am sure that the wife would not mind you using the blender or food processor!!!

Do you review all the items people send you? :cool:

I usually get around to reviewing everything, eventually. But sometimes it's hard. Example:

I got this rub once in a plastic bag, it was pretty darn good on some ribs I made just last weekend for my family reunion. But there were two problems, it wasn't enough rub to really be able to tell people I tried it on a variety of things.

And since it was in a plastic zip lock bag it wasn't all that photogenic. Now if I had a picture of the real packaging and maybe enough to do three or four racks of ribs along with some other pork products I could do a proper review.

But in the mean time I'm still trying to figure out how to do a write up on it.

That's way cool Larry, I understand curing the fish first , so the sausage is cured enough already so it won't get rancid?

That's way cool Larry, I understand curing the fish first , so the sausage is cured enough already so it won't get rancid?

Uncured meats have to cooked before consumed. The reason I bought two of each sausage is my plan tomorrow is to "double" smoke one of each on my Traeger and grill the others so that I can compare.

I was a little concerned about having the sausage out of the refrigerator for so long but in monitoring the temperature of them they stayed in the safe zone and I'm comfortable with the safety. Especially since they will be cooked completely.

i always have reservations on stuff that uses things that are not easy to get such as the sawdust. looks good otherwise.

Larry, i have a large bag of Hickory sawdust your welcome to if yo decide you like your new toy.
Maybe a larger, more photogenic package of rib rub will find its way with it. :wink:

Uncured meats have to cooked before consumed. The reason I bought two of each sausage is my plan tomorrow is to "double" smoke one of each on my Traeger and grill the others so that I can compare.

I was a little concerned about having the sausage out of the refrigerator for so long but in monitoring the temperature of them they stayed in the safe zone and I'm comfortable with the safety. Especially since they will be cooked completely.

Very interesting, by in the safe zone, is that a combonation of time and temp? ie they started out under 40 degrees and were over 40 for less then 4 hours? (I knew a guy on the coast that made alot of people very sick on his salmon):confused:

Very interesting, by in the safe zone, is that a combonation of time and temp? ie they started out under 40 degrees and were over 40 for less then 4 hours? (I knew a guy on the coast that made alot of people very sick on his salmon):confused:

Salmon would be a problem. Sausages are going to be cooked to a temperature that will insure no one is sick. And since I'm the only one that's going to eat them the first time, I'm sure I'll know if it doesn't work.

i always have reservations on stuff that uses things that are not easy to get such as the sawdust. looks good otherwise.

I said it looked like saw dust. Wood dust for smoking is a very simple and easy product to get.

Back