Jerkey!

yelonutz

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Stopped by the store the other day to get some cheap-assed flank steak to make some jerkey. Stuff was $7.99 a pound! What do you guys use? I'm thinking rib eyes are cheaper.

NUTZ

I use well trimmed brisket flat but I know many use top round.

8.jpg

any lean cut of beef-but mostly venison, because it is so lean and in a couple of months is will be real cheap meat

I use eye of the round. On sale it is usually less than $3 a pound. If you have a contact you can get cases of select for much less. I think the select actually makes better jerky because the fat content is less.

Any cut of beef that has the word 'round' in it is usually very cheap and perfect for jerky due to the very low fat content.

I buy top round at Sams Club for my jerky.
Last time I was in the store looking at premade jerky in the bag, did the math and its over $18.00 a pound.
So I guess paying for a piece of top round isnt so expensive after all.

I use eye of round or top sirloin. What ever is cheaper.

Sirloin. Sirloin tips is what they call them here. I think it's tri tip offered as a "Sirloin Tip Roast". Very lean.

Here is what got me started on this. I recently went on a small road trip. My return home was up HWY 395 in No. Cal. I stopped at a store in the town of Bishop. They sell Mahogany smoked meats. I had never tasted meat smoked with Mahogany. I got some Teriyaki Beef. It was the best Jerky I think I've ever had. Problem is, the price. $34.95 a pound!!! I am going to try the brisket flat. Check them out on line at www.smokedmeats.com

NUTZ

Wyatt used a top round steak for his last weekend. We picked up an eye of round for a larger batch.

Jerky8.jpg

Back