MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #31
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

I gave it an 8 on first glance.
Even after a second look it's still an 8.
But hey, I'm no CBJ.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #32
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Without looking at other posts....8

I could almost taste those burnt ends.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #33
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I'd give it an 8 also.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #34
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
8. Slices look small and uneven, maybe just because the burnt ends are laying on top? Burnt ends themselves aren't evenly barked on all sides - looks like cubed point rather than true BE.

Overall it looks tasty, but could be a little better.
They are not sitting on the slices. I had to cut the slices short because of a long slice running across the top of the brisket, if I cut them any shorter I mite as well just handed in nothing but chunks and almost did but wanted something for the judges to give the pull test on.

As for the point I did it differently them most I put the point back in whole to cook instead of cubed. If you look you can see the burnt ends bark is much darker than the slices. But your observation is a good one.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Salt View Post
With that many cubes, it looks like you're hiding the slices. The suspicious part of me thinks the ends might have crumbled while you were slicing them, but if that were the case, I'd mark down later, in the texture score.

But strictly on appearance, I'd prefer to see the whole width of the slices, even if it's just the first couple of slices toward the front of the box.

I'd say 8, probably. The sauce glaze doesn't bother me too much for the appearance score.
A suspicious mind does not belong at a judges table. Not hiding slices they were very moist and not crumbled at all but as I have explained there was a long cut running across the top and if you look closer you can see its still in all the slices, just wanted to give the judges something to do the pull test with. But you score is spot on.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
I'd probably say a 7... the slices don't show very well to me. My first impression is that your flat didn't turn out, so you're going with burnt ends to hide that. I'm not saying it's true, just my first response. There's nothing wrong with that, either, but I'd want the slices looking better overall. With knowing something of how judges respond, I'd emphasize the slices, not the burnt ends.

Just was not in the cards to showcase the slices with this brisket.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyQ View Post
Yep, between Climax Springs and Warsaw.
Well heck we will have to get together sometime and have a conversation or two., I live about 3 miles north of Greenview. Were you the one that kept kissing Carolyn?
Dave

Well you all were very spot on with you scores some observations were a little off but overall your scoring was very good. I thing there were 42 CBJs and 49 Non CBJs and I placed 26th out of 76 with this box. My scores for appearance were, 8 8 8 8 7 8,. I was surprised as well as pleased since I did not plan a no garnish box and had to deal with a poorly trimmed brisket from the packer. I would not hesitate to try it again with less sauce and better slices. Thanks to one and all for your impute.
Dave

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 08-04-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: 5 posts in a row
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #35
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey Dave, hope you're feeling well! I'd give that box an 8 and if you had garnish, a 9! LOL! I'd kidding! But I agree with most of the comments on what you could do to improve it. I would not, however, be concerned with painting the slices. We did lightly... VERY lightly at Warrensburg and took 6th in brisket. Nice looking box. The only thing I might have done differently is turn some burnt ends on their sides rather than having big solid rows of black bark. I like the look of varied chunks in my brisket box.

As for the suspicions of what might be hidden, you guys know better than that! You can't assume something is wrong with an entry based on anything the cook has done! We keep coming back to this but an entry has to be judged on it's own merits AS PRESENTED.
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 08-04-2008 at 12:11 PM..
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #36
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Hey Dave, hope you're feeling well! I'd give that box an 8 and if you had garnish, a 9! LOL! I'd kidding! But I agree with most of the comments on what you could do to improve it. I would not, however, be concerned with painting the slices. We did lightly... VERY lightly at Warrensburg and took 6th in brisket. Nice looking box. The only thing I might have done differently is turn some burnt ends on their sides rather than having big solid rows of black bark. I like the look of varied chunks in my brisket box.

As for the suspicions of what might be hidden, you guys know better than that! You can't assume something is wrong with an entry based on anything the cook has done! We keep coming back to this but an entry has to be judged on it's own merits AS PRESENTED.
Thanks Jeff I am feeling fine and I hope you are two. I want to thank you for your comments about suspicions, that can never be overstated as far as I am concerned. Have you gone to Qtalk and looked at my new mods on My large Spiceswine/Myswine.?
Dave

Old 08-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #37
Pigs on The Run
Full Fledged Farker

As for the suspicions of what might be hidden, you guys know better than that! You can't assume something is wrong with an entry based on anything the cook has done! We keep coming back to this but an entry has to be judged on it's own merits AS PRESENTED.[/quote]

AMEN!
Pigs on The Run is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #38
Tar River BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Very tastey loooking !!!

Howdy, Iam not much on numbers, but I would chomp down on a few slices of this brisket. Looks Great !!!
Tar River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #39
BlueHwyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I like this box. I think that boxes that look full look better that boxes that are sparse. You did a good job. The sauce on the slices looks a little uneven, but other than that - nice!

Lets call it an 8.
BlueHwyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #40
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

I hate the garnish rule but have not been presented with a box that looked great or even good with out it. That being said 9 Moist, full box, well laid out, and makes me want to reach in a grab a burnt end. This is what brisket should look like eatable - salad!
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #41
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I may have take more than 7 or 8 seconds but I would give it an 8. The only thing that kept it from a 9 for me was the lack of sauce on the burnt ends I like the look that sauce gives all and all I really like the box

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote