MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Default yellow skin or white skin (chicken)

I can't remember the reasoning, but what is the difference between yellow skin chicken and white skin chicken ?.. I usually get fresh thighs, from the same place all the time, (white skin, "organic hippie" chicken) but i was in my little po-dunk grocery store today and saw some nice thighs, but with yellow skin.. so i turn to you all to educate me a bit on the difference. If any ???
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default yellow skin

this has to with the way they are fed. Most chicken with yellow skin are fed marigold pedals in their feed.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

wiki says breeding

"According to Gail Damerow's handbook, "Egg yolks get their color from xanthophyll, a natural yellow-orange pigment in green plants and yellow corn, and the same pigment that colors the skin and shanks of yellow-skinned hens. The exact color of a yolk depends on the source of the xanthophyll." "

click
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Read this thread. post 19 particularly: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=27663&page=2

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Podge, i asked this question about a year ago and nobody responded so I just did some experimenting and i found that you need to keep on doing what you are doing.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Smoky River BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Read this thread. post 19 particularly: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=27663&page=2
I read this thread, and found it to be informative. One question, though...does a white or yellow skin thigh make a difference if the fat is scraped off the inside of the skin before cooking. While on the subject, does anyone else do this??
Smoky River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

thanks for the help, and the link !.. now I'm not as dumb as i was yesterday.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote