• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Numbers help

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ive been asked to BBQ for a friend at work, for his daughter's graduation. Here is the skinny: 75 people they would like pulled pork, boneless/skinless chicken breast, and chicken thighs.
I'm estimating 25lbs pulled pork, 50 boneless/skinless and 48 thighs. Does this sound about right? looking at charging $325 dropped off.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated since I know there are more experienced caters on the list then I. thanks in advance.

Chicken

Bossman looks like you've got your hands full can't much help with the quanity, but the boneless and skinless chicken,I suggest you buy the chicken with the skin on and remove the skin after it's cooked so you won't dry them out so bad, and a strip of bacon on the breast meat its a great snack when it's done and maybe brine the white meat also.......just some food for thought.:-D

Take a look at my Excel Catering Planner http://www.bbq-review.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10 you can download it for free, and use it on your computer.

The 25 lbs is a good cooked weight to work for, but I would add 5 - 10% for folks that like it! This is based on 3 servings / lb cooked meat, if you want to do 4 servings / lb you can get by with 18.75 lbs cooked weight.

You're cutting your margin pretty close. Are you sure that much is needed? I find that when I cater I always over cook blowing my profit. When I cook for my own parties I get it on the numbers because I know how people eat.

That's a great spreadsheet. For general rule of thumb I charge double my cost for friends. In your case you are probably going to be spending about 185.00 on meat and I bet they ask about sauces.

You might be able to find a poultry outlet that sells the parts cheaper than the stores. Also I would look at the deals where you can buy halves. and then just hack them yourself.

Good luck. That's a lot meat. Don't forget pics when you get a chance.

For drop off service the price is about right. For setup services I try to make make 2/3 profit i.e. I spent $500; I charge $1500 .

Back