MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #9481
mike5150
Got Wood.

Default My Second shot at Ribs

I screwed up 3 Racks of Baby Backs a few weeks ago. So I gave it another shot with a rack of Spare Ribs. They turned out really good I made up some rub and left them in the refrigerator overnight Cooked them 234 deg 3 hours then put them in foil sprayed on some apple juice and cooked another 2 hours. I was going to put them back on for one more hour but they was falling apart so I let them rest in the warm oven about 30 min and I could not take it anymore I had to give them a try boy they was good I have posted a few photos

My Rub I used

2 Tbl Spoon Paprika
1 Tbl Spoon Black Pepper
2 Tbl Spoon Dark Brown Sugar
1.5 Tbl Spoon Season Salt (lawry's seasoning salt)
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1/4 Teaspoon cayenne Pepper (go easy on this)

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #9482
kennyd0118
Full Fledged Farker

nice rack!
-Kenny
kennyd0118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #9483
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Hi all,

I have just started on making my UDS. Finally managed to get hold of a drum with a lid and found somewhere that soda blasted it for me for free... Result!!

Just started drilling all of the holes etc and am now looking at which cooking grate to buy. I have a 6ft circumference drum which gives an overall diameter of 34". I was looking at the weber grate but that only seems to have diameter of about 23". Is this big enough? If so, what size bolts will I need to hold this? I've seen others using 2" but would this be enough to hold the grate?

Now that I commenced work, I shall upload some photos as I progress.

Mike
gravityguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #9484
MDRex
Knows what a fatty is.

2 Questions:

Other than weber 22.5" cooking grates, are there any heavy duty stainless steel options? I love my SS Kamado Joe grates, but those would be too small.

Is there any reason I shouldn't put the extra intakes (which seem to always be capped) on the front next to the main ball valve intake?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #9485
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I pick up my build today to take to the powder coater. Can't wait. Thinking of going with hammered bronze with Tel-Tru glow dials.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #9486
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRex View Post
2 Questions:

Is there any reason I shouldn't put the extra intakes (which seem to always be capped) on the front next to the main ball valve intake?
If you need to open them up, especially at the start of the cook when first getting the temp up to proper level you will want that air coming inb to stoke the area around teh basket for an even burn rather than one side of your fire basket burning hot. Space them evenly around and up high enough that the ash doesn't cover them yet at the botom of your fire basket.
Weber Jumbo Joe "AH" - Black
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Smoky Joe "F"- Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Genesis - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Go-Anywhere - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]UDS - which surprisingly is not black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker[/FONT]
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #9487
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityguy View Post
Hi all,

I have just started on making my UDS. Finally managed to get hold of a drum with a lid and found somewhere that soda blasted it for me for free... Result!!

Just started drilling all of the holes etc and am now looking at which cooking grate to buy. I have a 6ft circumference drum which gives an overall diameter of 34". I was looking at the weber grate but that only seems to have diameter of about 23". Is this big enough?
A 6ft circumference works out to slightly less than 23" (72" / 3.1415) so the Weber grates are a perfect fit. Academy Sports sells a cheap 22" grate that is a pretty good fit but you need slightly longer bolts. The BBQ Pro grates sold by Sears and KMart are a good fit and good quality.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #9488
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRex View Post
2 Questions:

Other than weber 22.5" cooking grates, are there any heavy duty stainless steel options? I love my SS Kamado Joe grates, but those would be too small.
Weber has stainless grates for the 22.5" kettle grills (part #3070784) They are a bit pricey but they're great (no pun intended)

http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1117
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #9489
tmhdgpth
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaco View Post
Try drizzling some veg. oil on the newspaper before you crumple it up... It will last a LOT longer and you will have more consistent starts on your chimney. Learned that trick from Alton Brown...
+1 works *every* time!
tmhdgpth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #9490
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhdgpth View Post
+1 works *every* time!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by huaco
Try drizzling some veg. oil on the newspaper before you crumple it up... It will last a LOT longer and you will have more consistent starts on your chimney. Learned that trick from Alton Brown...
What works for me all the time is "3 donuts"
Take 3 pieces of newspaper and make your "snake", but then loop it and crunch the ends together to form a circle. Get 3 of those and you're good without any oil or anything else. If you do 3 then it won't really matter what size of sheets they are. 3 Small ones will work fine.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #9491
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Paul, cheers for the advice, I have ordered the 22.5" grate which should hopefully be here tomorrow.

I have now almost completely finished my smoker and can't believe how easy it's been. As promised, here are a few photos of the 'almost' finished product. Just need to wait for the thermometer to arrive and add the charcoal basket (which i'm making from an old washing machine drum).

UDS main.jpg

UDS lid.jpg

UDS inside.jpg

Once I have added the thermometer and charcoal basket i'll add some more photos. Not the best craftmanship in the world but I'm proud of it so far

Mike

Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #9492
gravityguy
Found some matches.

The holes in the lid look terrible because, well... they are! lol First time i've ever used a step drill bit and took a couple of holes to get the hang of it. I also 'screwed' up the first air hole on the bottom so had to use some bolts and washers on the nipple to fix it. I used some car radiator filler to fill the around the edge to make it air tight.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #9493
tmhdgpth
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hi Mushcreek,

How did you locate the stainless drums? Thanks!

Tom
tmhdgpth
tmhdgpth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #9494
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Also forgot to say that it has actually been painted all over even though the photo looks like i've only added a couple of orange strips. I used metallic black VHT paint on the most of it so looks like gun metal grey in the flesh, add the orange is actually metallic red. Looks better in real life than in the photo :)

Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #9495
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityguy View Post
The holes in the lid look terrible because, well... they are! lol First time i've ever used a step drill bit and took a couple of holes to get the hang of it. I also 'screwed' up the first air hole on the bottom so had to use some bolts and washers on the nipple to fix it. I used some car radiator filler to fill the around the edge to make it air tight.
It's beautiful. Living up to the name of UDS. My current one is not nearly as pretty as yours. :) Just have to sand off any pieces of metal sticking up or down to prevent cuts.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker