MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Ice cold beer in your own home?

Imagine having ice cold on-tap beer available 24/7 in th comfort of your own home. Build a kegeartor! Here's how.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
evilpsych
Full Fledged Farker

yup. got one already..

It's as easy as just buying the johnson controls digital thermostat and a deep freeze.

I've had one for the last 3 years and it's freakin great. With CO2, a keg can last feasibly for 30-45 days before going off-taste.. usually I float them by 25 days.. makes for a great deep 'cooler' if you set it at 35-38 degrees.. colder than your fridge, but not freezing. Great for wet-aging
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like it. Ive thought about going that route. But I would rather have a tap setup similar to what you see in a bar. This would depend upon getting the beer I want in small kegs like ponies or 5 gallon Cornelious Pepsi type kegs. Ah to dream...

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
bbqjoe
Banned

I built one from scratch. Sorry no pics. Used it mostly for home brew.
Washing and capping all those bottles is a pain in the butt!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

In my younger bachelor days we ran four different mini-kegs out of the same kegerator. Can't do that anymore!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : samichlaus

I had 8 brews on tap for a while.

Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
martyet
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great idea but I think I would consume way too much beer. Yes that is possible. I always have cold beer in the refrigerator anyway. Remember life is too short to drink cheap beer! Always enjoy what you drink! Oh yes remember to drink responsibly!
Jenn-Air (Gas Grill)
No matter where you go there you are!
martyet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I'd like to have one with Diet Coke in it so I can quit running to the store for the wife's fix all the dang time! That is too cool!
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

One thing to think about when picking the frig for this; your electric bill. A friend made one of these out of an old Frigidaire from his Mom's basement. The beer was good and cold, but the old unit was so inificent, it was costing him an arm and a leg to operate.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Sami, glad the angle of that pic wasn't any lower.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
offa1a
On the road to being a farker

Been there, done that, got drunk, didn't function well, got divorced................

-BKSD
- Ducane POS Gas grill
offa1a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
offa1a
On the road to being a farker

Kirk, I grew up and lived most of my life in Horsham, not far from you

-BKSD
- Ducane POS Gas grill
offa1a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
dapittboss
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I've got 5 cornies in the fridge right now. I usually only run about 2 at a time, both IPA's, that are my two favorite recipes. Since the beer never sees oxygen after the primary it will last a very long time, but a 5 gal corny usually never makes it past 2 or 3 weeks anyway. We brew at least every three weeks so I will pretty much never run out of beer. Good times....

Oklahoma Joe Highland Smoker
Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical offset
35LB commercial deep fryer
dapittboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
evilpsych
Full Fledged Farker

one suggestion to those wanting a kegerator..

Don't bother with the tower-style tap-spigot.. the beer in the end usually ends up gettin warm and the correct fix for it is too much of a hassle.. I had one and the first pour was always full of head and slightly warm.. I moved to a simple plastic tap on the end of the hose and keep that in the kegerator.. i waste far less beer now.. (perhaps 3-4 drops per pour at most) and it tastes better and has less chance of a wild keg scenario.

Also.. something nice, is those 1/4 keg (ponies or the tall skinny ones) sizes are not that much more expensive than the 1/2 kegs in terms of cost per beer.. so you can invest in a couple of kinds of beer and taps and run them all off the same C02 system if you need to.
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #15
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpsych
one suggestion to those wanting a kegerator..

Don't bother with the tower-style tap-spigot.. the beer in the end usually ends up gettin warm and the correct fix for it is too much of a hassle.. I had one and the first pour was always full of head and slightly warm.. I moved to a simple plastic tap on the end of the hose and keep that in the kegerator.. i waste far less beer now.. (perhaps 3-4 drops per pour at most) and it tastes better and has less chance of a wild keg scenario.

Also.. something nice, is those 1/4 keg (ponies or the tall skinny ones) sizes are not that much more expensive than the 1/2 kegs in terms of cost per beer.. so you can invest in a couple of kinds of beer and taps and run them all off the same C02 system if you need to.
I have to agree. When I built mine, I went with the tower. It looks real good. But yeah, that first draw has to be 86'd. And that does add up after awhile.
One other note, for some reason, friends tend to think that if you have a keggerator, some how the beer is free. Like it just runs to the brewery or something.

Hey dummy! Where were you when I needed to get this here keg from the car into the house?
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote