MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
queball
On the road to being a farker

Default Wrapped Brisket

Anyone out there ever try plastic wrap? I read about it somewhere and gave it a try this past weekend. Goes like this. Season a flat with dry rub and que with smoke for about three hours. Re-season and wrap that rascal tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. Throw it back on the old locamotive for about 2 hours. Pull it and let it rest for about 45 minutes. As you unwrap, be careful not to lose that wonderful au jus that gathers in the bottom. It's a little different but very moist and quite tasty.

"If God did'nt want us to eat cows, he would'nt have made them out of meat."
queball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

The only reason I could see to wrap in both foil and plastic is to avoid contact between the rub and the foil. Tightly wraped foil should give the same seal as plastic. I wrap in plastic when I take out of smoker and re-heat in plastic.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I suggest from experience that you use a plastic oven bag for a turkey instead of plastic wrap. The reason is because the plastic wrap cannot handle higher temps. There are some institutional grade plastic wraps that will handle it, but I know first hand that the stuff you get at the grocery store is not going to hold up. When I do my fast track method for brisket I buy the turkey bag. It works great.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

I've been reading that some people do wrap their briskets in plastic wrap. I'm too bad at heat management to try it.

My son likes to open the air vent (when I'm not paying attention) to look at the fire and the next thing you know my pit is at 300 degrees and climbing. Or my wife makes me do some honey dos while I'm cooking. Or I start my own project and momentarily forget about the pit.

Well, I guess melted plastic could really seal in the juices!!
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I have also heard of plastic/foil wrapping, never tried it in the cooker. I have used the p/f wrap when coolering and like it better than foil alone. It seemed to sludge up the bark less than foil alone, although I can't say why.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote