MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Megawhatt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Ribs Doneness

I've made ribs 3 times on my akorn so far. The first ones were overdone and mushy and fell off the bone. The second ones I found out about the bend test so I tried it and took the ribs off as soon as I saw the slightest amount of cracking when picked up. When bitten into they were a clean bite off the bone but there was an almost snap or crack to the bite. Third attempt I left them on a bit longer so when I did the bend test they cracked a little more I thought they might fall apart so I took them off. Same as the second ones when they were bit into they bit clean off the bone but again they bite had a snap to it. Is this how ribs should feel when bitten into? Or do I need to wait just a bit longer to get rid of that snap when bitten?
Megawhatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I've never had a snap or crack to the bite on ribs, even when undercooked. Are you peeling the membrane off of the back?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Megawhatt, there is no right or wrong when ribs are done, ribs are done when there done. Some like ribs fall off the bone, some like ribs with a little resistance when bitten, some like a lot of bark, some on so much bark etc.... The point is cook the ribs to your liking that's what matters.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like fall off the bone but not mushy myself.

are you wrapping, not wrapping? Temps? Rub? Spares? Baby Backs? Details.........You can score the membrane if you cant get it to peel off......I suck at Baby Backs but my Spares are Darn Near Decent!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

If you're not removing the membrane try it next time. Start by getting under it with a butter knife then grab on to it with a piece of paper towel and pull it off. Usually it will come off pretty much in one piece.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I've never had a snap or crack to the bite on ribs, even when undercooked. Are you peeling the membrane off of the back?
my question as well.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
My question also, if you do any Catfishing or seen the fish skinners at Wallyworld pick up a set they work wonders on that membrane.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Agree with Zin. The right way is however you like them. I like membrane on with a bit of a bite to mine, but I know others do not. If you are not happy with that bite that you had, I would recommend a little more time and removing the membrane. Also, try probing with a toothpick instead of bending for another way of determining your preferred doneness. Finally, are you wrapping? That will make a big difference in time and "mushiness."
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

As well as all the other questions, one more.
What temp are you cooking at?
I have found that too hot will give you a tough underside on the ribs

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

I use a toothpick to determine when my ribs are done.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Make sure you pull the membrane. I actually temp mine... not sure if anyone else does

Old 09-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Dex, you are not alone. I have been known to temp mine. I also go by bend.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Make sure you pull the membrane. I actually temp mine... not sure if anyone else does
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Dex, you are not alone. I have been known to temp mine. I also go by bend.
Temp? meaning you check meat temp for ribs or you guys talking about some obscure method of dealing with membranes?
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Temp? meaning you check meat temp for ribs or you guys talking about some obscure method of dealing with membranes?
I check meat temps on ribs, yes .

Old 09-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
sslak
On the road to being a farker

I prefer fall off the bone baby backs, just not mush....thats for me, the fiance, and friends.

For competition we leave a little more bite to them, but I wouldn't call it "snap", the whole rib bone just doesn't slide out like it does when I cook them for eating, the meat stays put. Then again we've only done one comp...so don't take my advice, I'm a noob :)
sslak is offline   Reply With Quote